Eclipse -- some advice please!

ninjastyle

n00b
Hey bud, if you're around, could you tell me something about the G.Skill Extreme 2 GB kit (with the black spreaders) and tell me how it compares to THIS CORSAIR. It's a friend over at forums.AMD.com who's asking. I advised him to get the G.Skill, but he's thinking the Corsair might do better (290 @ 3-4-4-8).

Thanks. :)

Corsair is badnews. tell him to get the gskills. its the same chips, same pcb, just different company making it.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
Corsair is badnews. tell him to get the gskills. its the same chips, same pcb, just different company making it.

OK, I'll link him to this thread, actually. Thanks for the input.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
actually... i don't think corsair uses BP.. but yes, both should be samsung UCCC.. the g.skill is $40 cheaper, why not get it? :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
actually... i don't think corsair uses BP.. but yes, both should be samsung UCCC.. the g.skill is $40 cheaper, why not get it? :D

I agree, I know the G.Skill is impressive. I also know you wouldn't recommend crap. Thanks dude, he should see this thread anyway.

Me again. More questions:

Thanks a lot man. I tried registering at their forums but my username was taken, so I try a different name and then it won't let me use my email, so I said screw it.

Could you ask him which set will run better at 250? The Corsair seem to be able to have tighter timings at that speed compared to the G.Skill.

Show him this review if anything... Do the slighty tighter timings make the Corsairs worth $30 more anyway?
[snapback]566742[/snapback]​

i wouldnt recommend corsair period. they have lost their good rep as of late, their LL XMS stuff went from awesome with BH-5, to some of the WORST TCCD clocking you can buy. they have lost their strong hold in the good ddr1 market. Gskills has filled this void, and the warrentee and service G.skill gives will suprass anything corsair can give

also, a change from liek 3-3-3 to 3-4-4 for ddr500 speeds wont show up at all in real world gaming. or windows or anything.

and that ram they got looks to be cherry picked. and might not be 100% stable. it doesnt look like it could be

mpegripper said:
how high of a clock speed have people gotten on this g skill?

They don't overclock too far out of spec, unfortunately. Being UCCC chips, I'd say a good estimate is 265 max. With a differential of about +/-5.

282 @ 2.62v WOW, i'm down

and their warranty service and tech support are suppose to be awesome too, right?

anyone know where you send your ram to with g skill, if you have a bad stick?

Bona Fide said:
I've also seen people getting 3.2GHz on an Opteron on air cooling at 1.5V. Do you see it everyday?

yes...infact i do. with tsuephsyde's opteron. it did 3.1ghz with 1.44v.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
yes...infact i do. with tsuephsyde's opteron. it did 3.1ghz with 1.44v.

Not the point. I would approximate that 1 of every 20-30 Opterons in circulation has broken 3GHz on air. 5% is not an astounding number.

you get used to it. sometimes i make him feel stupid though! :D , its fun! and anyways, just look at it as learning. and learning is educational! :)

Back