ECC Memory for Home ESXi hosts?

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
Any reason for me to spend on ECC Memory for my home lab virtualization hosts?

Depends on how much memory the system is using. Any servers past 16G I usually move towards ECC, but for home use it's up to the user how critical the systems are.

I do have ECC for the ESXi box (Xeon CPU) hosting my FreeBSD ZFS server; as ZFS heavy depend on memory I don't want to risk integrity of my data. The additional safety of ECC is for this purpose.
For my second ESXi-sandbox (i7 CPU) I use regular non-ECC; nothing "mission critical" on it.

I do have ECC for the ESXi box (Xeon CPU) hosting my FreeBSD ZFS server; as ZFS heavy depend on memory I don't want to risk integrity of my data. The additional safety of ECC is for this purpose.
For my second ESXi-sandbox (i7 CPU) I use regular non-ECC; nothing "mission critical" on it.

+1 for this. Its not really ESXi that creates the need for ECC, but the VM clients might. If you have an application where ECC is recommended/important in your client set (like a ZFS based file server) then ECC is still recommended when that client is virtualized. If none of your clients have an ECC requirement then neither does your ESXi host.

Yea all my data is going to hosted on a synology RAID5, so I wont have ECC there. I do have backups to AWS Glacier.

Back