EB Games-UT2K4 CD-Key stealing?!

Disco_Stu_04

Limp Gawd
Well, I had received UT2k4 right before spring break a week ago from a pre-order with EB Games and now that I have returned, I went to go install the game. I opened the box and have found no CD key...hmmm...should be on the back of the manual which has the "Register Online Today!" title at the top? Well not there.

But something else stuck me as odd...the manual was outside the DVD case, the stickers on the top were loose and not quite sticking. Odd, I have a hunch someone there went in and grabbed the damn sticker. Well, now what do I do? I want to play this flippin' game?!

Can I call Atari because I don't want to have to wait another freakin' 2 weeks to get this game?!

Have you look really hard for the key. I mean, really hard? It's there.

Inside the DVD case, under the manual.

It got me for a while as well :)

Nothin in, on, around...oye. I think I am legally entitled to go get a key gen now...I hate this crap, all I want to do is waste my precious hours of free time in front of my computer screen swearing at it endlessly, is that too much to ask?!

Take it back to EB and see if you can exchange it for another with a CD KEY ... Atari may be able to help you as well ...

//EDIT// nice name :p

its a conspiracy there all out to get you

Steps To Relive Perminent Mental Damage:

1.Knife
2.Wrist
3.Sleep

Originally posted by NightWolf
its a conspiracy there all out to get you

Steps To Relive Perminent Mental Damage:

1.Knife
2.Wrist
3.Sleep

*they're

christ

My DVD-Key was inside the dvd box on the left.

If it isn't there -- Take it up to EB and figure out what's up.

If EB policies are similar to Gamestop, then and employee might have taken it home and tried it out.

We're allowed to sign out any game we want, anytime we want for 4 days at a time. Some dickhead didnt cover his tracks properly, Ive seen this from some of our past employees.

Originally posted by Typical Gamer
If EB policies are similar to Gamestop, then and employee might have taken it home and tried it out.

We're allowed to sign out any game we want, anytime we want for 4 days at a time. Some dickhead didnt cover his tracks properly, Ive seen this from some of our past employees.

So basically, you're allowed to take a game home, play it, then sell it "As New" to a customer?

No wonder why I don't trust those stores :rolleyes:

No wonder my Ravenshield Key didnt work when I tried to play online. Thanks!:rolleyes:

well, i know that several of the EB's around this area allow their employees to do that. I think thats pretty crappy for new pc games. If it was a used pc/xbox/ps2/etc game... that's understandable. But new... sad, very sad.

Sometimes its necessary. Games have come out with nothing in the jewel case, some times theres major batches glitched from the manufacturer. We test them out and or open and check them periodically for customer satisfaction. Besides the way I do it, you could never tell it was previously opened regardless of packaging we have the materials to reproduce anything we take off, its also procedure to restore the product to its original condition.

Secondly and most often its used for product knowledge. This isnt on a store by store basis, its a fringe benefit coupled with information gathering. People come in and will by a game based on our personal review or what we have heard. Magazines arent as reliable and often have the review in the issue after the release which is almost a month later.

Sometimes its necessary. Games have come out with nothing in the jewel case, some times theres major batches glitched from the manufacturer. We test them out and or open and check them periodically for customer satisfaction. Besides the way I do it, you could never tell it was previously opened regardless of packaging we have the materials to reproduce anything we take off, its also procedure to restore the product to its original condition.

Secondly and most often its used for product knowledge. This isnt on a store by store basis, its a fringe benefit coupled with information gathering. People come in and will by a game based on our personal review or what we have heard. Magazines arent as reliable and often have the review in the issue after the release which is almost a month later.

I guess you are missing the point. It's not about whether or not you open the package for PC games but the fact that you have made the CD Key Invalid when you "test" the games.:rolleyes: :mad:

I'm sorry, but that just isn't acceptable to me. If i'm paying for something "new", this means it should not be opened. If you guys put it out as a "used" box, then thats fine. As a customer, I don't have the right to open the box and make sure there's a cd-key there or all the manuals, so why should I have to purchase a "new" box that's been opened by somebody else. Most popular games are reviewed before the games even hit shelves.

If its a company policy to test these games out, then the company should provide you with your own copy or a store copy. I call BS on "This isnt on a store by store basis, its a fringe benefit coupled with information gathering."

I didnt ignore, I do understand.

And about "ruining" the CD key, wtf are you talking about.

Its not like we're taking home Everquest and Galaxies. Those games are off limits. As long as you dont sign online or register the game there wont be any "ruining" of a cd key, gimme a break. You play it and delete it. :rolleyes:

Call BS all you want, talk to any store associate, its considered an employee privilage company wide. We have a monthly corporate log and inside is a sign out page for every employee. The book should be red for the month we're in.

Go there or call and get owned. If you dont, then we all know from this day forward you talk out of your ass. Report back to this thread.

and StrongBadia, go to Bestbuy then , theres a million other junkies out there besides you.

Its not like we're taking home Everquest and Galaxies. Those games are off limits. As long as you dont sign online or register the game there wont be any "ruining" of a cd key, gimme a break. You play it and delete it. :rolleyes:

Call BS all you want, talk to any store associate, its considered an employee privilage company wide. We have a monthly corporate log and inside is a sign out page for every employee. The book should be red for the month we're in.

Go there or call and get owned. If you dont, then we all know from this day forward you talk out of your ass. Report back to this thread.

and StrongBadia, go to Bestbuy then , theres a million other junkies out there besides you.

What Gamestop is doing with this so-called "privilage" is no different than piracy.

Originally posted by merlin704
I guess you are missing the point. It's not about whether or not you open the package for PC games but the fact that you have made the CD Key Invalid when you "test" the games.:rolleyes: :mad:

amen

I can get games cheaper elsewhere anyways

What Gamestop is doing with this so-called "privilage" is no different than piracy.

So taking a game home, trying it out for 4 days, taking it off my computer, and using what I gathered as product knowledge towards sales assistance, is the same as a kid burning a copy of a game, playing through it and keeping the copy with no intention of ever buying the full version? No different the piracy? .

Come on, and dont give me that crack shit either, thats against company policy not to mention a federal offense.

Also, You're only allowed to take that title out once and never again. So if anything, it helps contribute to a sale in the respect that, if you got a taste of a good game and you want to play the rest of it, you use your emp. disc. and pick it up.

So taking a game home, trying it out for 4 days, taking it off my computer, and using what I gathered as product knowledge towards sales assistance, is the same as a kid burning a copy of a game, playing through it and keeping the copy with no intention of ever buying the full version? No different the piracy? .

Come on, and dont give me that crack shit either, thats against company policy not to mention a federal offense.

Also, You're only allowed to take that title out once and never again. So if anything, it helps contribute to a sale in the respect that, if you got a taste of a good game and you want to play the rest of it, you use your emp. disc. and pick it up.

It's exactly the same. Because, #1, you are using the CD Key to install/play the game which then makes it invalid. And #2, you dont own the game so yes its just like downloading and copying it.

Do you sell the game as used? Cause afterwards the game is used. Or does that mean I can buy a game from EB and use it for 4 days then take it back and get my money back? Cause I thought I could only get the same game.

It's exactly the same. Because, #1, you are using the CD Key to install/play the game which then makes it invalid. And #2, you dont own the game so yes its just like downloading and copying it.
Swing and a miss

.....etc

I'm sure ALL eb employees delete the game. :rolleyes:

well, maybe when they are done playing but I doubt that's 4 days.

I've been done w/ EB for a long time now, this just confirms the slimy shit they do. Selling a game that has been opened as new? Maybe it doesn't "matter" 'cause joe EB isn't using the CD key anymore consider this.. .. waiter drops your food plate down onto the counter in the kitchen but since it didn't hit the floor it's "new" and you pay full price. Same thing. Enjoy your eats and stop sticking up for EB's slimy practices.

Okay guys, I don't see why so many people have a problem with this. This sort of thing happens in ALL industries. You think you're the first person to drive a brand new car? No, chances are, an employee has driven that car for a couple of days, or even someone's had sex in the back seat. At electronics stores, they'll open a product and give a demonstration to employees, or even let them take it home with them for a better look, and then re-package it and sell it as new.

You are buying a game, you get that game, what's the difference if it has been used for an installation or two? It's not like it degrades the quality of the game or anything. Also, how the heck are you getting that it "invalidates the CDKEY"??? That is false. It does not invalidate anything. And, if it was piracy, then the industry would be all over this.

FYI, I don't work for a Gamestop or anything, and I had no clue that this went on...

Oh, and back on the topic: I don't remember if it was Farcry or UT2K4 but, there was a huge batch of games that went out without the CDKEYs in them. This sort of thing happens...

Originally posted by Maximus825
Oh, and back on the topic: I don't remember if it was Farcry or UT2K4 but, there was a huge batch of games that went out without the CDKEYs in them. This sort of thing happens...

I think it was UT2K4, because I remember other people complaining about the same thing.

Personally I don't really have a problem with games being taken home and tested. As long as everything it put back, is valid (i.e. CD KEY), and looks new (no scratched disk or anything), I'm happy. And if your key did end up getting stolen, then just return it. Explain to them what happened, and if they do have that service where employees take home the game, I'm willing to bet that they have a way of knowing exactly what box the employee took home, because it hasn't been the first time it happened.

that was splintercell in australia.

Take the game back.

Would be interesting to see EB and GS back paddle if Epic dicided to enforce the EULA, which the employee had to agree to in order to install their "4 day Trial".

What your doing IS a violation of the EULA, and if EB and GS condone it, then they are liable for violating it as well.

Buying a game that some mall twit has installed and already used the CD-key is BS no matter how you try to spin it.

Funny how Best Buy and CompUSA have online services, which allow employees to read and take tests on new products to allow them to sell better. Taking these tests usually even results in free copies of the software for the employee who took the time to familiarize themselves with the product features. This just goes to show what a crappy operation EB and GS are.

I'll do my shopping elswhere from now on.

Okay guys, I don't see why so many people have a problem with this. This sort of thing happens in ALL industries. You think you're the first person to drive a brand new car? No, chances are, an employee has driven that car for a couple of days, or even someone's had sex in the back seat. At electronics stores, they'll open a product and give a demonstration to employees, or even let them take it home with them for a better look, and then re-package it and sell it as new.

You are buying a game, you get that game, what's the difference if it has been used for an installation or two? It's not like it degrades the quality of the game or anything. Also, how the heck are you getting that it "invalidates the CDKEY"??? That is false. It does not invalidate anything. And, if it was piracy, then the industry would be all over this.

FYI, I don't work for a Gamestop or anything, and I had no clue that this went on...

Problem with your car analogy is that there is an Odometer...

You get the car "new" and you SEE that there is a few miles on it.
That's accepted because you know the car has to be driven, or even test driven.
I've never heard of a car having exactly 0 miles on it when purchased new off the lot.
Setting back the odometer, while it *is* done somtimes, is illegal. So if you got a car with a reset odometer, you can sue. (if you can prove it of course)

Quality control should be done at the manufacture / developer level. Not retail.

As for the whole EB thing... Sure, the employee is "supposed" to remove it after a while, and they aren't "supposed" to use an online CD key... but will that stop them? Hardly.

I know a few people that have worked EB/Gamestop/Funcoland/Software Etc that used to do that crap ALL the time.

Here in England the CD-KEY for the DVD version of the game is inside the DVD BOX printed on a sticker on the left side of the case. Of course this was a stupid move by the publisher because shops such as GAME (they took over EB here in the UK) open 90% of the games on display and store the discs / manuals behind the counter. So all someone has to do is open the case and look to the left, and wow they got a free cd-key, or maybe 2, or even the 20odd which are stocked there.

Note: This only applies to the DVD version

if the stores want to open a game and let employees try it out thats great. But maybe they should only do it to one game, and they they store owns it. Don't try and sell it as new cause its not thats sloppy seconds

If I don't, then you all know that I talk out my ass? LOL! That's too funny. Aparently you didn't bother to read my posts... let me refresh your memory:

well, i know that several of the EB's around this area allow their employees to do that. I think thats pretty crappy for new pc games.

I KNOW they do it.... I'm saying I don't think its right. As for this being a corporate policy to allow employees to open brand new PC games up and take them home, then return to the store a few days later and sell the game brand new... I don't think this is true. In fact, I'm forwarding this thread to EB/Gamestop corporate and I'll keep you guys updated if there's any reply back from them. I wonder how they feel about this "policy". Feel free to post your comments, but try not to flame and get this thread locked!

Back