EB Games, good or bad?

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
So I go in there today, right, hoping to sell my COD and HL Source games.

Guy tells me they don't trade in PC games anymore. I was ready to spend some money there on some new/used PC games but instead just walked out.

Any other places that buy used PC games? I would rather trade them in then go through the hassle of selling them on ebay and someone sniping COD for like two bucks.

Where you born yesterday? People can install the game. then bring it back. Boom a free game.

As far as I know you can't sell your SOURCE games even if you want too.

You can sell CoD on the FS forums here.

Unfortunately, EBGames is getting out selling PC stuff, let alone buying/selling used games. Strangely enough though, my one local EB games does sell used PC games... So don't pick on him for assuming they'd buy it, because at one point they were.

They were unloading a bunch of these used PC games a while back, and I got a bunch extremely cheap. For example, I got Nascar Thunder 2004 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein for less than $5 each.

And like Tiny said, you cannot sell Source games once you've activated it to your account. The CD-Key is a one time use key, and once you add the game to your account, that key because void and it's permanently yours. Sorry! :(

Yep they all stopped taking PC games, think it was due to them being bought by Gamestop, bastards. But they still do sell used PC games as long as they have em on their shelfs.

Snappshoota said:
Yep they all stopped taking PC games, think it was due to them being bought by Gamestop, bastards. But they still do sell used PC games as long as they have em on their shelfs.

Ditto the B-word.

i dont know about your guys local EB Games, but the one here in Northern Virginia sells brand new games without the plastic and security sticker on them, were not talkin pre-owned either. what they do is you buy the game, then they find the disc in the back and put it in ur game case. my brother bought full spectrum warrior way back brand new, and they gave him a disk that was already scratched so he had to go back and yell for an actual new copy. ive never liked them, always seems to be a risk to buy from a retailer who doesnt keep the games in the plastic and what not. also, my EB is really unorganized and messy. just my 2 cents

i just bought splinter cell new from EB here.. a few days ago. no problems....

i noticed they don't sell used PC games though... so that means they probably don't buy them either lol..

CoD I can understand you thinking you trying to sell, however Half Life: Source? You do realize you would be effectively selling nothing right?

rusty said:
i dont know about your guys local EB Games, but the one here in Northern Virginia sells brand new games without the plastic and security sticker on them, were not talkin pre-owned either. what they do is you buy the game, then they find the disc in the back and put it in ur game case. my brother bought full spectrum warrior way back brand new, and they gave him a disk that was already scratched so he had to go back and yell for an actual new copy. ive never liked them, always seems to be a risk to buy from a retailer who doesnt keep the games in the plastic and what not. also, my EB is really unorganized and messy. just my 2 cents

That's pretty stupid. I think my EBGames might do that too, but I'm not sure, as I've never bought a new PC game from them. I usually only by preowned PS2/N64/Dreamcast games. They never really had good prices on new stuff.

The PC games I bought, were in fact used though. Most of them were missing the box, and a few shown signs of wear and tear. So it wasn't an opened, new game.

My nearest EB Games still have the serial keys in the display boxes.

Smart huh? No.

rusty said:

They only do that if it is one that goes with one of the display boxes... I have occasionally had new games come like that, but most of the time I get a brand new still shrinkwrapped package. Even the ones that had been opened to use the box as a display were never scratched or anything though, sounds like your brother just had bad luck.

I used to work at EB. The only time you'll buy a new copy of a game that has already been opened is when the only copy left is the display, as an earlier poster noted. I have also been in EB games where they have left CD-keys inside the cases that anyone could look in. For example, BF2, where the CD key is on the back of the manual, and they left the manual in open display cases. I was tempted to use my digital camera to photo the CD-key, and send it in to that store's district manager.

Ludic said:
I used to work at EB. The only time you'll buy a new copy of a game that has already been opened is when the only copy left is the display, as an earlier poster noted. I have also been in EB games where they have left CD-keys inside the cases that anyone could look in. For example, BF2, where the CD key is on the back of the manual, and they left the manual in open display cases. I was tempted to use my digital camera to photo the CD-key, and send it in to that store's district manager.
maybe you might know the answer to this question: since you used to work for them..do you personally know if the EB name is going to be changed since GameStop bought them..or will it remain EB?
im just curious... thx

Not sure what part of the country you are in, but in PA, NJ, and a few other surrounding areas I think into NY... there are stores called "The Exchange" they generally trade in anything and at decent prices.

I've never checked to see if they took PC games, but I only use them for trading/buying used games (they also do VHS, DVD, Cassette, Vinyl, Music CD's, etc.) as they are much more fair than EB/Gamestop and the people there are great. A totally different experience than EB/GS for sure. For instance, any used players choice games are $10, new $19.99... that is much more fair than EB's $14.99 used $19.99 new B.S.

And BTW, EB used to take PC games in trade so the OP is not "stupid" Put the flamethrower down and step away.

I bought both CoD and CS:S from Eb Games, and they are both PC games.

I wanted to sell them back but they told me they dont take them in anymore, that's why I made this post. It doesn't even make sense. The EB games I went to, they still have AT LEAST 100 USED different PC titles for sale. I wonder how long ago they actually stopped taking in PC games and why?

This may be a bit off topic, but I had a friend, actually call in the Better Business Burout (spelling), and reported them.

He bought COD 2, and tried to install it on his comp, hoping the game would run. He had higher then min requirements, but was not happy at all. He then took it back a few ours later, asking for his money back, or if not, atleast a value of it, to get something else. They refused to give it to him.

He went home, called BBB (which monitors workplace affairs) and told them about this. They said, what they do is illegal, by forcing consumers, to take in store credit, if there is a valid reason for a return to take place.

So, he got in his car, drove back and tried agian, not telling them he phoned. They fagged out, so he said he called them (BBB), and they tried to test him, if he really did. They went in the back, got another copy, and said, this is all we can do. He refused, told him he talked with him, and they offered him 40 bucks in-store. Again, no where near the price.

He again said, I want my money, and finally gave him cash.

I never deal with them. Not because they dont take return on video games. Personally, I think any opened video game, should not be returned, unless they can prove their is something wrong with it. If its open, and you want something for it, EB should test the cd key, and then give them in store credit.

But the reason I dont deal with them, is for all the other bullshit they pull. My brother put down 50 bucks for a Xbox 360, and then a few months later, said he wouldnt be getting one. He couldnt do much about it, but then found a 360 somewhere else, and they actually told him, they would hold onto his 50 bucks, cause he will probably want a game later, and not to worry about it. LOL, good management skills.

just my 2 cents lol

After we merged with gamestop we stopped taking pc games. It has to do with cd keys. BF2 started it all.

Once the game was registered it was stuck to that person. So the next buyer couldnt use it. Its just a hastle to sell used pc games because of cd keys and idiots who dont know specs.

We only sell the used pc games that we have left in stock , once they are gone they are gone forever

T0pSh3lf said:
This may be a bit off topic, but I had a friend, actually call in the Better Business Burout (spelling), and reported them.

He bought COD 2, and tried to install it on his comp, hoping the game would run. He had higher then min requirements, but was not happy at all. He then took it back a few ours later, asking for his money back, or if not, atleast a value of it, to get something else. They refused to give it to him.

He went home, called BBB (which monitors workplace affairs) and told them about this. They said, what they do is illegal, by forcing consumers, to take in store credit, if there is a valid reason for a return to take place.

So, he got in his car, drove back and tried agian, not telling them he phoned. They fagged out, so he said he called them (BBB), and they tried to test him, if he really did. They went in the back, got another copy, and said, this is all we can do. He refused, told him he talked with him, and they offered him 40 bucks in-store. Again, no where near the price.

He again said, I want my money, and finally gave him cash.

I never deal with them. Not because they dont take return on video games. Personally, I think any opened video game, should not be returned, unless they can prove their is something wrong with it. If its open, and you want something for it, EB should test the cd key, and then give them in store credit.

But the reason I dont deal with them, is for all the other bullshit they pull. My brother put down 50 bucks for a Xbox 360, and then a few months later, said he wouldnt be getting one. He couldnt do much about it, but then found a 360 somewhere else, and they actually told him, they would hold onto his 50 bucks, cause he will probably want a game later, and not to worry about it. LOL, good management skills.

just my 2 cents lol

that is the dumbest story i have ever heard.

So i can go buy cod2 install it, return it and SAY it wouldnt install? anyone can say that and get a free game. Your a moron. Go buy a cd and try and return it for cash. Same concept. And how can we test pc games? do you want to bring your computer in with you?

I remember when I lived in Oregon there was a private videogame store not affiliated with any of the big chains...they had tons of pc games available, new and used, and bought used back from you. They also gave you reasonable amounts back for any games you wanted to get rid of, pc or console.

In addition to the CD-key issue I was told they quit buying used pc games because someone could "buy it, copy it, and resell it to do the same to another game." Also because they merged with Gamestop and Gamestop's policies are being used now.

Really sucks because I liked getting new games really cheap a few monthes after they released.

thedork said:
that is the dumbest story i have ever heard.

So i can go buy cod2 install it, return it and SAY it wouldnt install? anyone can say that and get a free game. Your a moron. Go buy a cd and try and return it for cash. Same concept. And how can we test pc games? do you want to bring your computer in with you?

Im not a moron by any means. Where in my post did I say you can do that. I agreed with your opinion dumbass. People should be allowed to return games. I was just posting what I saw

EB is such a hoax, thats all I am agreeing with

Ok I want to shed some light here.

I worked for EBgame for over a year. When I loss prevention issued happened with managment this summer I decided to quit.

The issue regarding display boxes is this. The company guts a certain number of games for display cases. This is not a fault of EB, but rather a fault of the companies that produce games. They do not send display boxes with all the games. Most EBs have a shrink wrapping machine and clear labels so most of the time it can be masked if the game was ever even opened.

Now is this illegal, no because we are not selling used games as new or playing the new games for that matter.

As far as the issue goes on not giving money back it has to do with the employees there. Returns are only to be done by a 3rd key, assistant managers and managers. Depending on the staff most part timers are not taught the return process, but at the same time there should be management on duty. 3rd keys can be considered management. I was a 3rd key, and I was not taught everything management was so I had to inquire about a lot of things including return processes.

The reason why you can not trade in used Steam games is because the CD Key is specfic to the Steam account and not the game. Same reason why you can not trade in most MMORPGS.

Back