• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

EAX Advanced HD

dbaldus

Gawd
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
563
I'm confused about what EAX Advanced HD even is. I've seen it in FEAR and COD2, but am not sure what I should even have "checked" in the options menu to take advantage of the sound. My understanding was that EAX Advanced HD was part of EAX 4, but the more I see it, the more I think the Advanced HD may be a part of EAX, EAX2, etc. where you can have EAX plus Advanced HD or EAX 2 plus Advanced HD. Could someone shed some light on what Advanced HD even is, and then more specifically what I need to have checked off in games such as FEAR or COD2, which use the Advanced HD?
 
dbaldus said:
I'm confused about what EAX Advanced HD even is. I've seen it in FEAR and COD2, but am not sure what I should even have "checked" in the options menu to take advantage of the sound. My understanding was that EAX Advanced HD was part of EAX 4, but the more I see it, the more I think the Advanced HD may be a part of EAX, EAX2, etc. where you can have EAX plus Advanced HD or EAX 2 plus Advanced HD. Could someone shed some light on what Advanced HD even is, and then more specifically what I need to have checked off in games such as FEAR or COD2, which use the Advanced HD?

EAX Advanced HD is just EAX 3, EAX 4, or EAX 5.

Here is a list of all the different versions of EAX games use, bookmark it.

Fear uses EAX 4, and I am not sure what Call of Duty 2 uses, it must be too new to be on the list or creative's website.

[EDIT/UPDATE] TheManko informs us CoD2 is EAX 3.
 
Call of Duty 2 uses Eax 3, it says so in the options when you select audio mode.
 
TheManko said:
Call of Duty 2 uses Eax 3, it says so in the options when you select audio mode.

Thank you, I don't own the game so I could not give the most accurate answers, but now I know. Thanks for correction.
 
So to use EAX4 in FEAR, should I have "HW Mixing" AND "EAX Advanced HD" selected, or just "EAX Advanced HD" in order to use the best possible sound (I have an Audigy 2 ZS, so it should be able to handle any of the options).

Note there is also an "EAX2" that I can select, but after reading the previous posts I believe that should be unselected. Doesn't seem to make much sense for EAX2 and EAX Advanced HD to both be selectable at the same time in the first place...
 
Set "EAX Advanced HD" in FEAR.

Turn off CMSS on the Audigy (FEAR will run with CMSS on, but directional-sense of sound events will be compromised).

You should be good to go.

Hope this helps!
 
Back
Top