easy way to partition

basically i want to divide my 80gb harddrive into two partitions...
-c: (exists) at 20gb
-d: (need to create) at 60gb

what software can do this easily without creating a mess? i tried partition magic and messed up royally. basically i want a fool proof method. thanks!

Originally posted by stringcheeseincident
basically i want to divide my 80gb harddrive into two partitions...
-c: (exists) at 20gb
-d: (need to create) at 60gb

what software can do this easily without creating a mess? i tried partition magic and messed up royally. basically i want a fool proof method. thanks!
Fool proof, eh?

Hire someone else to do it.

Short of that, fdisk works well for me. Unless you mean you want to shrink and change an active partition.

Then...um, fdisk. I wouldn't do that, too much risk. Back up the drive and reformat.

yeah, it would be hard because my current c: drive is at like 33gb. id need to make d: 30gb, then transfer some files from c: to d: to bring the size of c: down, then make c: smaller and d: bigger.

Why can't you just create a 20 gig partition at the end of the drive. You could remap the drive letters if you wanted to. If not then you would have to shrink it as far as you could and then create a new partition. Copy stuff over to the new partition and then shrink the first one and expand the old one. The only fool proof way to partition a drive without losing data is to copy the data to another drive and then copy it back. There is always risk involved when doing something low-level like partitioning.

Back