Easy to install fan/heatsink?

davet

n00b
Which one you would recommend that is very easy to install for someone who has large hands?

This will be for a i2500k or maybe one of the new ivy bridge.

A lot of them look very difficult, and I am not planning on overclocking a lot.

Any recommendations?

Noctua NH-U12P is pretty much the easiest thing I've ever had to deal with. The NH-D14 is easy to install, but the rubber bumpers and fans aren't as easy as on the NH-U12P. I guess the stock Intel HSF is pretty much the most simple, easiest to install kit.

Thermalright's Archon, HR-02 and Silver Arrow aren't too bad, but not as easy as Noctua. Couldn't tell you about any others as I've only ever bought from those two brands, used the stock Intel HSF and tried out a couple others that were terribly difficult like the old Thermalright True Black Ultra.

I have a hyper 212+ and I found it decently easy to install(privded you put the fans on after you have it mounted properly), there is also a newer coolermaster unit the X6 ELITE that is apprently one of the easiest to install and wickledly good coolers at a fair price(its size is also not quite as large as most tower coolers and still has great performance and very good compatibility)

Noctua NH-U12P is pretty much the easiest thing I've ever had to deal with. The NH-D14 is easy to install, but the rubber bumpers and fans aren't as easy as on the NH-U12P. I guess the stock Intel HSF is pretty much the most simple, easiest to install kit.

Thermalright's Archon, HR-02 and Silver Arrow aren't too bad, but not as easy as Noctua. Couldn't tell you about any others as I've only ever bought from those two brands, used the stock Intel HSF and tried out a couple others that were terribly difficult like the old Thermalright True Black Ultra.

Thanks!

The NHU21P says compatible with LG-1156 not 1155? Is there a difference? Ivy and Sandy are 1155 right?

same mounting holes, no difference

NO issues with True SPirits here, otherwise its only WC stuff ive had, again not difficult

I have a hyper 212+ and I found it decently easy to install(privded you put the fans on after you have it mounted properly), there is also a newer coolermaster unit the X6 ELITE that is apprently one of the easiest to install and wickledly good coolers at a fair price(its size is also not quite as large as most tower coolers and still has great performance and very good compatibility)

Thanks for the suggestion of the X6 Elite

I think I will go with that one, watching video looked so easy to install and seems to perform well enough for me and not super expensive.

Mounting anymore tends to be pretty similar across the board, sometimes a little worse or better, but usually not so much that its really an issue, especially considering that once its in you're not really touching again (at least not very often). That being said, the Hyper 212 is the best all around, bang for your buck hsf, and the noctua's are indeed better (arguably the best HSF) but cost several times as much.

the X6 elite is CM best one yet, generally is in the league of top air coolers currently out there (from the reviews I have seen) though to be fair it does need to use push/pull for best results(as do most top coolers some even 3) Even at that it is still cheaper then the big boys, but able to compete directly with them.

LGA1155/1156(Sandy-original i3/i5/i7 500/700/800 series) same mounting holes that I know of, its only the cpu socket pinout that changed, now socket 1366/2011 are different. socket 1155 is for Sandy-B/Ivy-B and socket 2011 will be compatible with Sandy-E/Ivy-E(though bios flash might be required for full compatibility)

BTW your welcome. I am sure you know better, but do get 2 of the same fan for push/pull if you go this route, to my knowledge the x6 comes with a total of 4 brackets to be able to support push/pull but you need to buy an extra fan if you want to do this.

I know for myself the reviews I did read of the hyper 212+ push/pull on a heavily overvolted/clocked i7 950 showed this little cooler able to hit the same speeds and about 8c hotter(load temps) then the top air cooler out there. So yes there is better, but sometimes it doesnt add up to it and not often worth the extra cost(unless is for quiter or you are really pushing the envelope)

Last edited:
Back