Easy guide to making cat5 cable?

TheMagicalJew

Limp Gawd
I got 250 feet of cable some crimpers, some connecters and a tester anyone have a good guide:)? or some tips:)

I do network cabling for a living and I would say to check out my post in the "Telecommunications 101" thread in the networking and security forum. The whole thread is a great read.

linky > Telecommunications 101

Strip about an inch and a half the main wire, arrange from left to right, don't strip the little wires in the middle.

Orangewhite, orange,greenwhite, blue,bluewhite, green, brownwhite, brown.

cut them down to about half an inch, slide them into the connector, make sure the arrrangement stayed the same inside. make sure the large insulated wire is in the connector, crimp them. then test

NightyNight said:
Strip about an inch and a half the main wire, arrange from left to right, don't strip the little wires in the middle.

Orangewhite, orange,greenwhite, blue,bluewhite, green, brownwhite, brown.

cut them down to about half an inch, slide them into the connector, make sure the arrrangement stayed the same inside. make sure the large insulated wire is in the connector, crimp them. then test

Yep. A word of advice - if you overcut when you're slicing the cable (cut into any of the smaller signal wires) then do it over again. When I was first learning I made this mistake a few times and believe me it's much better to start over at that point than after organizing things and crimping.

Dizzamn! I finally got a tool and some cable ends, and I'm trying to crimp up some patch leads. It's just insane.

How quickly can ya'll do it? I'm down to about ten minutes per end. This is maddening.

10 minutes per end? :eek: You taking a lunch break in there or something? :p I've never actually timed myself, but I'm sure I can do an end in under half a minute. I'd time myself right now but I know I'd end up spending 15 minutes looking for a bag of connectors.

Nope. Spreading them apart and getting them in the right order is a real tangle. I enjoy making IDC conenctors and Molex connectors; no problem. Untwisting the pairs is nuts.

When I first did it, it took me probably 10 minutes per end. I think I can probably do it in 2 or 3 minutes now. That would mean stripping the insulator, untwisting all of the leads, getting them in order between my fingers, pushing them in, and then double and triple checking my order. About 1/4 of the time I have to bring the leads back out and make changes. So, yes it is a sort of long and delicate process, but once you do it they last hopefully forever.

dont forget quaility tools. makes a lot of differance in time ..me with my tools avg about 20-30 secs an end.

when i was in high school, i was on a team that went to a technoogy competition in pittsburgh. there was a cabling competition for teams that weren't the greatest at router configurations or networking knowledge, just to give them a fighting chance.

the requirement not to be penalized was to make a rollover, patch cable, and crossover cable in 15 minutes, better times got better scores.

it was a long time ago, but i remember one kid made al 3 cables in less than 5 minutes.

...i think i just barely made the 15 minute mark.

flynlr said:
dont forget quaility tools. makes a lot of differance in time ..me with my tools avg about 20-30 secs an end.

Can you recommend a particular brand and model?

Back