Easy audio output switch?

autobot

Limp Gawd
Hey there folks. I'm setting up my mother's computer to be able to use her 32" LCD TV as a secondary monitor (netflix instant play and other online video usage) and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to easily switch the audio output from the motherboards onboard audio to the video cards HDMI audio output. I want to make this really simple as she doesn't know much about computers.

I know normally you would go through the control panel and switch the audio output in there, but I feel thats gonna be too difficult for her to do each time and frankly, she won't use it if its a hassle.

PC specs are as follows:
AMD64 X2 4400
ASRock ALiveNF6P-VSTA
Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 512MB PC2 4200
GIGABYTE GV-R435OC-512I HD4350
Samsung 20x DVD burner SATA
WD 80GB SATA
Windows XP Home edition

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

I thought you could select the default audio device inside your playback software. What are you using for playing movies?

EDIT: yup, see here:

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50428

With the latest VLC, change to Waveout. If that doesn't work,change the Waveout device number until you get audio over HDMI. Then you shouldn't have to mess with it again.

Last edited:
She isn't going to be playing videos off of her computer, its more for online video usage like Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and Fancast. If need be, I can switch her computer over to Win7 RC if there are any easy options with that.

An easy solution might be to just split the output from the computer to go to both the tv and the pc speakers and just turn off the tv speakers when it is not in use. I don't think a switch is really necessary in this situation.

Just use STADS. http://www.mp3vcr.com/stads/

The apps being used (ie, firefox, chrome) will have to be restarted for the audio to switch to the other device if they were already active during the sound card switch.

Back