Easiest way to share a file remotly from PC to another

Rusky

Limp Gawd
And by remotly share I mean something similar to mapping a network drive from one PC to the other.

I need the remote computer to be able to point a program access and use a database file on my PC.

Any thoughts?

Maybe using VPN? Does anyone know a free VPN software and any guides on how to set it up?
Or maybe using IIS?

And I should note that the PC where the files are located is Vista home and the PC where the files are needed is XP Pro if that matters.

I dont know if Vista home allows for sharing, dont use home much.
Besides that fact lets say it does, then yes a VPN would work. You would need a VPN endpoint such as a vpn router which normally comes with software to load on client machines.
For the scenario you describe why not purchase ftp hosting and upload the file and then have your counterpart log into the ftp site and download the file....
About $15 a month.

You could also download software and set up your own ftp server. This will also cost though, do a search for ftp server software.

Personally for ease of use I would jhust go with ftp hosting. If your familiar with computers then you could use ftp server software and all you would need to do is set up the software and make sure your router (if you use one ) allows for ftp connections and sends them to your PC. You would then need to give yoru WAN IP to your counterpart to connect to.

Hey you might want to try Foldershare (Microsoft now owns it)

Install on both computers and it will keep files/directories in sync. Assuming you not modding the file from both machines at the same time of course.

www.foldershare.com

Back