Easiest way to OC a XP 2600+?

RobotChild

Gawd
Mobo - Asrock K7S41GX
CPU - Athlon XP 2600+
HSF - Zalman 7000B-AlCu

I recently bought (Waiting for it to arrive) an Athlon XP 2600+, and was wondering the easiest/safest way to OC it. I heard overclocking a 2500+ to 3200+ speeds is easy, so it should be the same with a 2600+ right?

Any way tips?

KQYHA seems to be a good stepping for the reail package others have reached a FSB of 255 with this stepping on air which @ a multi of 11.5 gives almost 2.6 GHz not too bad for a 1.9Ghz 2600+ since the 2600+ you have has a locked multi the only way to OC is raise the FSB do so slowly in little steps testing each increase for stability until you reach the point it is no longer stable and reduce the FSB to the last stable point. WATCH your TEMPS. You will need high quality cooling to maximize your OC. (not responsible for any damage to components or persons as a result of these instructions) as always YMMV.

Alright.

Any reccomendations on OC'ing software, temp monitors etc?

I was going to OC my 1500+ for a test but never got around to it.

Google for CPU-Z. Download and run the program and it should tell you in the memory tab.

mem.jpg

Is that what you were looking for?

you can still OC, your just going to hit your rams instabilty point faster using your current ram. Set your memory timings HIGH, somewhere @ 3-4-4-10, or higher if possible, and see where that takes you. Set your Vdimm accordingly. have fun, oh ya, make sure you watch your CPU temps.

newls1 said:
you can still OC, your just going to hit your rams instabilty point faster using your current ram. Set your memory timings HIGH, somewhere @ 3-4-4-10, or higher if possible, and see where that takes you. Set your Vdimm accordingly. have fun, oh ya, make sure you watch your CPU temps.
Where can I set the timings?

Before you change the memory timings, use a memory divider to slow the memory down prior to overclocking.
ie set the memory to DDR266 (a ratio of 2:3).
This will give you a 50% overclock before the memory speed reaches DDR400 again, ample to test your max CPU speed.

Play with memory timings when you have maxed the CPU, set the final memory divider up to get max memory performance.

Got it at 2.25GHz.
The FSB is at 195MHz, rather than the normal 166MHz.

I'ma check the temps in a bit, if their around 35-38C I'll leave it. If not it's back down.
(I had to cheap out on thermal paste, I'm using "Super Lube". Some shit I bought at Radio Shack. All the reputable computer stores are closed for the weekend)

I've had that ram up to at least 215 from its default 166. But my 1gb generic stick is limiting me now, so I'm not OCing.

Anyways, those 512mb PC2700 Samsung sticks clocked well for that they were.

Alright, cool.
Speedfan is different when it runs on that computer though.
Instead of...
CPU - temp
Mainboard - tmep
Ambient - temp
etc.

It just says
Temp1 -
Temp2-

I'm assuming that Temp1 is the CPU.

RobotChild said:
Alright, cool.
Speedfan is different when it runs on that computer though.
Instead of...
CPU - temp
Mainboard - tmep
Ambient - temp
etc.

It just says
Temp1 -
Temp2-

I'm assuming that Temp1 is the CPU.

whichever one goes up significantly when you are running prime would be the cpu

It was temp2.

The Load temp is 42C.

Opinions?

This is my first OC so I don't really know what to expect.

thats fine, i had my old barton 2500+ at 2.6 ghz and 58c load and it was fine

Also, the idle temp isn't 39C

The BIOS said it was that.
Speedfan says it's 36C, and it's only been 5mins since the stress test.

Back