easiest way to combine 2 folders?

mjz_5

2[H]4U
Hey guys!

My mother uses both a laptop (PC A) and her desktop (PC B).. I want to create a script or something that makes myFolder (on PC A) and myFolder (on PC B) to be the same... so, if:

pc A has:
------
file001
file003
dir002
dir003

pc B has:
-----------
file001
file002
dir001
dir003
dir004

I want both computers to end up with the following
----
file001
file002
file003
dir001
dir002
dir003
dir004

i tried looking at robocopy, but i couldn't figure out how to make it do what i want..

So whats wrong with copying the files?

Or having that "my folder" goto a share on a server somewhere?

Is this just a one-time operation you want to perform, or do you want her to be able to synchronize the folders on a regular basis?

Assuming you are using OS's that are Win98 and above you can just the briefcase feature of windows couldn't you?

It is made exactly for the situation that you are describing. Just open up windows help and type in briefcase. It is simple and free.

Hope that helps some.

You can also use the wonderful scripting power of pathsync . It is a small program written by the main developer of winamp for a situation very similar to that. The easiest way I can think of doing it is making a script. Then writing a .bat that calls the script. Then put the .bat in her startup folder.

That way whenever she logs onto her machine, the script will be called, and the files will be sync'd. There are a bunch of options on how you want the sync'ing done, but that is up to you.

If you have any problems doing that just give a holler in here and one of us will help you.

Awesome program. Give it a try, its simple and wonderful.

Asgorath said:
You can also use the wonderful scripting power of pathsync . It is a small program written by the main developer of winamp for a situation very similar to that. The easiest way I can think of doing it is making a script. Then writing a .bat that calls the script. Then put the .bat in her startup folder.

That way whenever she logs onto her machine, the script will be called, and the files will be sync'd. There are a bunch of options on how you want the sync'ing done, but that is up to you.

If you have any problems doing that just give a holler in here and one of us will help you.

cool thanks, will check it out...

since this is for my mother, i don't want her to have to do things manually, the easier the better :)

jpmkm said:
Is this just a one-time operation you want to perform, or do you want her to be able to synchronize the folders on a regular basis?

I want her to be able to do this on her own, as much as needed... i'm reading the pcstats article... i check more of it out later, i should go to sleep :)

thanks guys

Asgorath said:

wow, this program is amazing!

did you make the script by modifying the source code?

uzor said:
Yeah, after a fashion. Here's what you would do. As a note, I would copy the pathsync program directory to a folder at the root level of C: for ease of typing the command line options, and keep your save files to 1 word/no spaces.

1) load, configure and run a sync from your 1st source drive to your 1st target.
2) once that is done, click File>Save SyncSettings... (choose an appropriate name, and save to c:\pathsync or wherever you copied your directory
3) reconfigure for your next source and target, run, and save (different file name!!)
4) repeat for remaining sources

You should now have several .pss files saved somewhere. To use pathsync in commandline mode call as follows (you can see this by running pathsync -? from a command line):

pathsync -loadpss source1.pss -autorun

Where source1.pss is the name of one of the save files you created in the first part. try running it from a cmd prompt to make sure your paths are stated properly. Then all you have to do is write a .bat file that calls each pss and runs it in turn. For example:

pathsync -loadpss source1.pss -autorun
pathsync -loadpss source2.pss -autorun
pathsync -loadpss source3.pss -autorun

Once your bat file is done, works, and has been tested, use Windows' scheduler to call the bat file to run every day at 3:00am.

After all that is done once, you shouldn't have to touch it again unless you want to change your source/target settings. It will now run automatically at 3:00am every day (or as set in scheduler)

This may seem a bit complicated, but it really isn't too bad. Just take it one step at a time and you'll do fine.

I do know that there is also a windows version of rsync that should do something similar, but I have no idea how it works.

That should get you well on your way.

Thanks Asgorath, I just dug this thread up w/ Search because I was in need of the same type application. Pathsync ROCKS!

Make a folder X

Open folder 1 -> select all -> copy

Open folder X -> paste

Open folder 2 -> select all -> copy

Open folder X -> paste

Delete folder 1
Delete folder 2

Rename folder X

:D

three_sixteen said:
Make a folder X
Open folder 1 -> select all -> copy
Open folder X -> paste
Open folder 2 -> select all -> copy
Open folder X -> paste
Delete folder 1
Delete folder 2
Rename folder X
:D

stuff dump(stuff x,stuff y){
int temp;

temp=x;
temp.=y;
return temp;
}

That would work, but with one caveat. What happens when there is a file of the same name in folder X and folder Y. Folder Y would always have precendent over folder X disregarding change date or anything.

Your method is simple, but not complete....But then again, I'm not sure if you were trying to make a joke or give advice.

it's much easier using path sync, trust me. I was looking for an application like this to avoid manually copying/syncing the two folders. All I do is hit Analyze and it shows me what actions will be done, then Go, and it does all the work. Simple.

Asgorath said:
stuff dump(stuff x,stuff y){
int temp;

temp=x;
temp.=y;
return temp;
}

That would work, but with one caveat. What happens when there is a file of the same name in folder X and folder Y. Folder Y would always have precendent over folder X disregarding change date or anything.

Your method is simple, but not complete....But then again, I'm not sure if you were trying to make a joke or give advice.

It was a joke, but a bad one I guess.. hehe

Back