Earthquake Early Warning May Have Been Found

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Scientists from Russia and NASA may have found a tell-tale sign of an impending earthquake. The teams have been studying satellite data and atmospheric changes in quake prone areas and just may have found the correlation between the data and the likelihood of an imminent earthquake.

Indeed, Ouzounov's team has looked at 24 significant earthquakes in Japan, of a magnitude of 7 or greater, and all showed the telltale signs in the days before the quakes occurred.

Wow...hopefully this isn't just a cum hoc ergo propter hoc correlation. It seems from the article that something is going on though, "Irrespective of what causes the changes in the atmosphere and ionosphere, both teams of scientists agree something detectable is happening."

Lol I thought the title meant that scientists have detected an imminent earthquake, aka apocalypse was going to happen as planned.

Wow...hopefully this isn't just a cum hoc ergo propter hoc correlation. It seems from the article that something is going on though, "Irrespective of what causes the changes in the atmosphere and ionosphere, both teams of scientists agree something detectable is happening."

yeah could shake up the entire research

..ok I'lll leave now :(

"It starts from the earth, moves up to the atmosphere and then to the ionosphere in the few weeks, days and hours before" we feel the shaking, he said.
Well yeah this isn't vague at all as far as detection.

The problems I see with it, is why magnitude 7 and above only? Wouldn't the thousands of smaller quakes end up contributing a little to the overall values? Also with 24 data points it just very well could be a coincidence.

There's a conspiracy going around that HARRP could be the cause of this...

There may be hope for the people of Vancouver after all. Vancouver is well due for a massive earthquake.

If they could get it down to a window of several days accurately it would provide adequate time to evacuate areas of concern. The saving of lives would be quite significant.

Well yeah this isn't vague at all as far as detection.

The problems I see with it, is why magnitude 7 and above only? Wouldn't the thousands of smaller quakes end up contributing a little to the overall values?

Probably not actually, with the Magnitude scale being a logarithmic scale after all. Each whole number increase (i.e. 6 to 7) is an increase in the Amplitude of the resulting waves by a factor of 10, and an increase in the energy released by a factor of ~32. In the power world, each 0.2 (so, say 6.4 to 6.6) represents a doubling.

Also, the Richter scale 'saturates' with energy at ~6.5, which is why real scientists don't use it anymore.

Nah, the atmospheric heating in Japan was Sony's servers trying to cope with a massive DDoS.

Don't rocks get squeezed at every fault line around the globe? Nasa is trying to maintain funding in tough times. But they're taking all the ridiculous study grant $$$ away. :D Wish this was true but I don't think so.

This has been reported quite a bit as 'new' news since Japan's most recent quake but this research has been going on for many years.

There is at least one satellite that has been working on this since long before this recent quake.

NASA is just one group looking into the data, if NASA went away the study would continue.

Have they found at least one other earthquake where this happened? I'd really expect NASA scientists to consider finding stronger information than a single anecdote before leaking to the press (Jupiter help them if they publish on such strong ground).

Back