Early tests of Steam deck promising

I think it will mainly be the size, living room like a switch do make sense, if you do not have an old laptop or almost anything hanging around able to stream steam from your powerful machine instead (is it known that this will not be able to stream your windows steam machine game over the network if you want to simply plug it on the TV ?).
they say you can stream steam games and xcloud games so under windows should work too.

also, re win11, verge says they are working to make it win11 ready. but its verge so...
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/9/22616395/valve-steam-deck-windows-11-support-tpm-amd

If you have a high-end Windows PC, then you can stream that to the Deck. Gaben mentioned this in an interview, I think it was on IGN can't recall.

So that would be a good middle ground. Keep Linux on the Deck and (for games that don't work) stream them from your main machine. Obviously only works in your house though.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
If you have a high-end Windows PC, then you can stream that to the Deck. Gaben mentioned this in an interview, I think it was on IGN can't recall.

So that would be a good middle ground. Keep Linux on the Deck and (for games that don't work) stream them from your main machine. Obviously only works in your house though.
Well they have 4-5 months to go before they are shipping decks. I know they are pushing the handful of big publishers with odd DRM / Anti cheat setups that are an issue today. I have a strong feeling that 95% of the top 100 titles are going to be running pretty well even when the first units launch. By the time a good number of these start moving in Q2 2022.... I suspect there won't be anything that won't run just fine.

We'll see though, I know how much I am sounding like the "its the year of Linux" guy on this one. lol
The big advantage on the deck in all seriousness.... things like Freesync and HDR are really not a concern. Although it would be nice of both are solved in a sane way for external montiors.

I admit that until that stuff is handled a little cleaner in Linux proper its still a big rock to push up the hill for the average gamer. If the deck can move the needle though I do feel like even that stuff will get sorted with on the Intel AMD side anyway. I expect next year after Intel gets their D&D cards on the market they will have some sort of SOC type thing to talk about as well. I could see a Intel Alder/Arc soc with big and little cores being a real good fit for deck like hardware as well. 2022 might get things going... but by 2023 I have a feeling we are going to see some real cool hardware and good Linux support is a given.

It's a running joke, but I do think 2022 will be the year of Linux. Not so much that it will "win" but that it will be the point where things shift.

With the Deck on Linux (and improvements in Proton in general) that last holdout for most people here would be moot. Already the vast majority of games work fine on Linux (except for new stuff like HDR and ray-tracing, but that may be solved by next year).

Plus, there may be a huge backlash to Windows 11, and we can get some defectors. So yeah, I think it will happen.

It's a running joke, but I do think 2022 will be the year of Linux. Not so much that it will "win" but that it will be the point where things shift.

With the Deck on Linux (and improvements in Proton in general) that last holdout for most people here would be moot. Already the vast majority of games work fine on Linux (except for new stuff like HDR and ray-tracing, but that may be solved by next year).

Plus, there may be a huge backlash to Windows 11, and we can get some defectors. So yeah, I think it will happen.
lol wishful thinking. these wont be high volume so it wont sway things much. also they are working on it running 11...

Steam has around 120 million users. If they sold just 1 million Decks, that would add almost 1% to the Linux userbase on Steam. I don't think it's crazy to think they might already have that many pre-orders.

What if they sold 10 million Decks by the end of 2022? That would mean almost 10% of Steam would be on Linux. Imagine that?

In terms of production, I don't know if they have the capability. PS5 sold 10M units in less than a year. So I do think this is possible.

Steam has around 120 million users. If they sold just 1 million Decks, that would add almost 1% to the Linux userbase on Steam. I don't think it's crazy to think they might already have that many pre-orders.

What if they sold 10 million Decks by the end of 2022? That would mean almost 10% of Steam would be on Linux. Imagine that?

In terms of production, I don't know if they have the capability. PS5 sold 10M units in less than a year. So I do think this is possible.
are you replying to me is just adding to the thread?! if so, use quotes.

first batch was 50K. i dont think theyll ramp up to 10M by the end of 22. sure, 10m is possible for a 25+ year old well established console maker but i do not think that valve is there.

are you replying to me is just adding to the thread?! if so, use quotes.

first batch was 50K. i dont think theyll ramp up to 10M by the end of 22. sure, 10m is possible for a 25+ year old well established console maker but i do not think that valve is there.
6 years ago Valve sold 500k steam controllers in 8 months. They have sold 150k index units... and I think last I saw something like 8% of the VR market is valve at this point. Very different products yes... but valve has experience selling their own hardware. Its not like they are some vaporware grift with the name Atari slapped on it or something. :)

I think shooting for Playstation numbers is a bit much. Having said that... if AMD can get them enough chips I wouldn't be shocked to see them hit 4-5 million in 2022. With another 10 million in 2023 IF the deck hits and doesn't land with a thud. All indications are its going to be a hit.

I'll call it now.... 2024 Sony PS5m handheld powered by AMD. Microsoft XboxXx handheld powered by Intel.

Very different products yes...
and very different numbers compared to what i was addressing. a couple mill in year or so sure but i doubt 10m in a year. i could be wrong and im sure people will let me know if/when i am. and as you noted, the big IF is is amd can keep the supply rolling.

Yeah, I agree 10M in a year is unlikely. I'm just saying in a best case scenario, but you guys are probably right. Even so 1 or 2 million seems more realistic.

Also, Valve is not starting from scratch with a new console. They have 120M users, who own large game libraries that will work on the Deck on day one (or at least most of the games).

So you could buy a Deck, load it up, and the hundreds of Steam games you own are all there. Very different then selling someone on a new console.

Back