• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

EAC DAE Speeds?

SlimShady

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Aug 2, 2000
Messages
1,143
im currently using EAC to rip my cd collection to VBR mp3s through EAC (using lame), and i have a question about the extraction speeds.

i feel like i am having very low extraction speeds. some cds will rip at a consistent 5-9x depending on what part of the disc it is ripping. this, from what i understand, is acceptable in secure mode. however, other cds will only rip at 2.5x through the entire disc. sometimes rebooting the machine and a redo will help, other times no matter what i do. is there something wrong, or a setting i can check to improve speeds? i used chris myden's guide to setup my EAC, which was reommended to me previously by the forum.

any ideas on how to speed this up? i am using a plextor px-712 drive.
 
In my experience all CDs rip that slow in secure mode. As you're probably already aware, the point of secure mode is to rip the data as accurate as possible. In order to do that it needs to extract at a slower speed. All the CDs I've ripped with EAC have been at 2-4x. Sounds like it's working fine.
 
I know that a non-scratched CD will rip for me in about 30 minutes (EAC time, which doesn't seem to correlate to real time very well ;) ). 2X sounds right to me. That is with the clear-cache option selected.
 
My Plextor 40/12/40 rips on secure at full speed

I hope you aren't using paranoid.
 
no, definitely not using paranoid. set it up to ubernet standards. sounds like im in the right ballpark tho. i was just curious why some discs rip faster than others, or rip faster after a reboot. maybe the cdrom slows after excessive ripping? i noticed EAC has a 'cooldown' option.
 
no, definitely not using paranoid. set it up to ubernet standards. sounds like im in the right ballpark tho. i was just curious why some discs rip faster than others, or rip faster after a reboot. maybe the cdrom slows after excessive ripping? i noticed EAC has a 'cooldown' option.

Yes, you may be on to something here. I have read from EAC that their process is very intensive on the CD/DVD drive as a hardware unit. Theoretically, the 'paranoid' mode with full settings and a weak drive could actually break it! :eek:
I don't know if there's been any proof of it.

But I think it is safe to assume that the extreme intensity of processing on the drive may 'tire' it. As it tires, it makes more mistakes. More mistakes means EAC asks for more reads. And you get a downward spiral that will make the overall read take longer. I believe re-booting (or just doing something else for a while) would give the drive the necessary 'cool-down' and then you'd see the high speeds again.

[Note: By 'tire' in the above I am talking about the mechanics of the drive and the motors.]

From my experience, clear cache vs. no cache, makes a HUGE difference in rip time. In a rough estimate, it takes twice as long when I force EAC to clear cache. So I'd say, if you are sure that your drive does not cache data, to disable that option to see much faster rip time.
 
My Plextor 40/12/40 rips on secure at full speed

What is 'full speed'? What options do you have enabled? There are so many options that will affect the speed of the rip, including:

Error Recovery Quality: Low/Medium/High
[EAC notes that a higher error recovery quality will slow down extraction on read and sync errors.]

Four different rip modes: Burst, Fast, Secure, Paranoid
[Note: Paranoid should not be used, but using Fast or Burst negates the reason for having EAC. Use Secure mode.]

Given Secure mode you have three options that will affect speed:
- Drive has 'Accurate Stream' feature
- Drive caches audio data
- Drive is capable of retrieving C2 error information

Also, there's an option to "Allow speed reduction during extraction." on another tab that needs to be checked to allow EAC to work properly. I'm guessing that you may not have that option checked which would force EAC to run at 'full speed'.

The configuration of the program is pretty complex (which is a good thing), and the exact permutation of these options will affect the speed at which EAC rips.
 
Full speed = ripping at the drives max speed, which in my case I can rip at 32x.

My settings:

Secure mode, Accurate Stream on, Drive cache off, Drive capable of C2 on

Read offset +98, write offset -32, overread into Lead-In/Out enabled, allow speed reduction enabled, CD-Text enabled
 
Drive cache off

Well, you seem to have everything set to get the fastest rip. I guess you just have a an efficient/reliable drive and your CDs are in good shape.
 
When I first started using EAC on my NEC 3520A 16x DVD writer I was only getting between 2-6x. When error correction hit it slowly went through the boxes one at a time.

One day I was looking at my settings and I had selected some kind of custom ATAPI driver, so I set it to the default setting, I am not at home or I could tell you which menu I meant.

Anyway, after setting it back to "windows default" or something similar my read speed shot up to about 17x at the start of the disk, and 25-29x in the middle to the end of the disk. Also error correction is insanely fast, the little boxes fill very fast.
 
One day I was looking at my settings and I had selected some kind of custom ATAPI driver, so I set it to the default setting, I am not at home or I could tell you which menu I meant.

Could you post back with the information when you get the chance? Cause I was unable to locate any option on any menu that let's you select drivers, although I vaguely remember something like that. So, anyway, it seems like it could be very relevant to this issue.
 
Under EAC Options... Interface tab you can select 3rd party ASPI, Vob ASAPI, or Win32 Native

If you want to use ASPI, just nab Nero's wnaspi32.dll and place it in /system32. Latest version is 2.0.1.74
 
Dont worry, on my Sony CRX320 drive I rip even brand new CDs in just under an hour :(
Let's not even talk about my scratched CDs...
 
DAE extraction is one place where Plex drives excelled. This is why I still have that CD drive installed, and have a Pioneer DVR-109 for everything else.
 
Thanks for the info all.

I don't have any external ASPI drivers installed, so I am utilizing the Native Win32 drivers. I may play around with seeing if there is a big time difference using the different drivers.
 
Ok, I tried using "Installed external ASPI interface" by downloading and installing wnaspi32.dll into my system folder. There was no noticeable difference in speed for me. Just FYI.
 
There is a setting in EAC under Drive Options>Drive to spin up drive before extraction. Ensure this is checked off / enabled.
 
Back
Top