EA signs exclusive with the NFL

i didn't like the feel of espn football, 20 bucks more is worth it for me. it does suck tho that they've monopolized the market

jabronidan said:
I believe if they aren't liscensed by the NFL, they can't use any of the teams or anything else. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And don't give me a review of Madden, I played the game, and it was a piece of shit. Period. Hey, if Madden was the better game I'd have Madden 2005 instead of ESPN 2k5, but its not.
Please tell me how madden is a piece of shit.
and no you wouldnt necessarily have madden if it was better. ESPN is 150percent cheaper, maybe that was your incentive. Ok and i dare you to look at madden 01 and 05 and tell me there is no improvement, graphically, or gameplay wise. You would have to be lying.

7718 said:
can you imagine? Madden 06 is going to be same engine, same everything, just updated rosters and it will go up in price!

wow, thanks for listening. why would it go up in price, thats just over the line there and it will never happen.

maybe when madden 07 comes on the ps3, you guys will stfu about 'its the same every year'.

i dont know if it's you guys thinking 'hating on EA, is the cool thing to do' or whatever but i got no problem with them, they still making good games in my eyes (except the sims ;)), so i really got no problem.

but if they start taking over genre's of sports, then ill start to be mad, im not all that big of a live fan, although its a good game (05 was a big improvement over 04 btw), i prefer espn on that sport.

ah well :eek:

This blows, hard. Since NFL2K came out I havent purchased a single madden game, mostly because.
1) in my opinion the 2K series are better games on the whole, from the mechanics to the animation to the amazing color commentary.
2) EA shoved in a bunch of shit I could hardly stand, thanks for lookin out EA, but I dont need a cutting edge "Urban" soundtrack with all original horrible fucking songs by over-paid rap artists, with lyrics I could've shat, playing in every menu in the game. I could barley get through Madden 2001 without shooting myself.

For Madden fans, yea its not a big deal, but for people who couldnt put up with the Madden series and finnally found a good alternative (and one that didnt have an interception every two seconds in the game) it eats it hard. Now I cant even play a Football game I'd enjoy for the next five years.

/pointless rant.

EDIT: Thought this was pretty funny. http://www.cafepress.com/eaemployee

wow. you guys are really heated over this. it's amazing!
eek.gif

Bad_Boy: actually, if i'm not mistaken, prices ARE going up on games. EA and VU are increasing the pricing of their games, and also reducing the packaged material (ie: manuals) with the games.

Beyond that I agree with you: It seems everyone's hating on EA just because it's the cool thing to do. I for one have enjoyed many of their games. Sure they make some bad ones as well, and it's not entirely EA. They are a publisher as well as a developer. And they swallow up developer houses like they're candy. It's no suprise that you see more crap games from EA than most other publishers, they're pushing out a ton more games.

I'm sure EA will move for other sport's genre's as well. Before we know it they'll be gunning for another. And probably getting it.

Bobsaysthis: in regards to your second point. I have a simple fix for you: go into the menus, and DISABLE THE MUSIC. than go to your stereo, and PUT IN A CD. not that difficult now is it?

Dont' say you "shouldn't have to do that", i'm sure many of you have been doing this for years. I know i have. Plus it's not like they can appeal to everyone's musical likes and dislikes. They do market research to determine that the majority of their buyers are kids that enjoy a certain type of music - so they cater to that. It's really simple.

Get over it.

</thread>

prices are going up on pc games, mainly the big ones. (hl2, d3, ect.)
if i play madden, its gonna be on a ps2 for sure, and i doubt those console prices will go up.

if madden 06 on the consoles is above 49.99, ill eat my words ;)

It's not the sheer fact that "X" is better than "Y" for me, it's more of the fact that EA bought the rights to the NFL. It's simply like another game company buying a car company's rights to all its car names, parts, etc.. like Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Ford/Mazda/etc.. And suddenly, the game you enjoyed, lets say GT5, had to be killed instantly, since "Z" game from "W" company bought it out.

Did all the NFL players forget that if hey are on the cover of Madden their team will do poor or they will get hurt. I would think the NFL would turn away from a cursed game ... oh well guesss not ;P

Who cares which game is better. The point of this thread is that no other company can make NFL games. No compeition for EA. This is very bad. What if Microsoft had no competition? Windows wuold be even more screwed up than it is now. No compeitition means that no more 19.99 games and possibly game enhancments will go down.

Why's everyone blaming EA for this? I don't blame them one bit for trying to get exclusive rights to this. I'm sure every NFL game maker would love to be in EA's position. Be pissed at the guys giving a virtual monopoly over a specific genre of games. I mean it's not like those in charge already don't make enough money as it is.

Why don't a movie company get exclusive rights only to action movies? This is sooooo a monopoly.

obs said:
Why's everyone blaming EA for this? I don't blame them one bit for trying to get exclusive rights to this. I'm sure every NFL game maker would love to be in EA's position. Be pissed at the guys giving a virtual monopoly over a specific genre of games. I mean it's not like those in charge already don't make enough money as it is.

Because instead of playing fair they're going to try and be the only ones in the licensed NFL market. If you're a Madden Fan this is fine, but it's bullshit for everyone who likes the ESPN Series. I've been playing the Sega series since I bought a Dreamcast in 99 and have always loved it. 99% of Reviews put Madden just a hair above ESPN Football and when you throw in the thirty dollar price difference it became a no brainer for me on which one to buy. It just sucks that a company has to resort to this crap instead of trying to build a better game which would actually justify an extra thirty dollars. They SUCK!

Arkanian said:
What about the ESPN football game?
YES :D

i have it for the xbox, and it looks so droolable in HDTV, and for only $20... and im not even normally a sports game player but i love this game :D theres so many great $20 xbox games out there - i picked up burnout 2 and crimson skies for $20 each and theyre both such fun games that i wouldnt mind paying $50 for them

I wonder if sega own the rights to mutant football league still?

they could turn that into a franchise if they did it right

This is horrible. Whether you like EA or not the monopolising of a market hurts only one community...the consumers. Compitition is necessary to see quality Madden title year after year. I love the NFL and like Madden but I'm not sure I can support this if it goes through.

I'm still playing Madden 2003 and NCAA 2003 on my Gamecube so my opinion may not count for much but I think that this could be better for football gaming than people think. If Sega wants to keep at it, they will need to add features to offset the lack of license. Madden 64 did not have an NFL license and that happened to be the year that Madden got a franchise mode. If Sega or anyone else comes out with a game that allows people to become more immersed in their game, the license will be a moot point.

Front Office Football type features
Off-field problems for players
custom art
Better AI
Build/upgrade a stadium
Better announcers
creative modes/powerups ala NBA Jam

NickTheNut said:
Bobsaysthis: in regards to your second point. I have a simple fix for you: go into the menus, and DISABLE THE MUSIC. than go to your stereo, and PUT IN A CD. not that difficult now is it?

Dont' say you "shouldn't have to do that", i'm sure many of you have been doing this for years. I know i have. Plus it's not like they can appeal to everyone's musical likes and dislikes. They do market research to determine that the majority of their buyers are kids that enjoy a certain type of music - so they cater to that. It's really simple.

Get over it.

</thread>

Im not "hating on EA cause its the cool thing to do" I own plenty of thier published games and will contiune to buy the ones that are worth doing so.

And ok, so the music is disabled (and who the hell puts a cd in thier stereo to have in-menu music?) that chages the fact that I still think its a cruddy game how? Great, the annoying music isint there anymore, now its safe to like the game.

I have been playing Madden since 92 and I never thought I would give it up to another football game. ESPN NFL2K5 simply kicks its ass. I feel cheated like any other consumer who has lost the right to choose. I will continue to support a better football game even if I have to "translate" the players' names through some other means. By the way, ESPN2k5 hockey rocks too. I had nothing against EA when i switched. I simply enjoy the ESPN series better. Better gameplay will take my money any day.

THis is probably the worst thing i have ever heard about that deals with console news. Sad Sad day :mad:
It's ashame because finally when madden gets some good competition and has to bring out a better game because of it. they instead just eliminate that by completely giving the competition no chance. I think this was EA only real chance to stay on top and they knew it.

Back