EA Says Steam "Too Restrictive" For Battlefield 3

Right. You can buy DLC through other providers like XBOX Live / Games for Windows Live. etc. So that's not it. I'd wager that EA just doesn't want to give Valve anything from DLC sales as stated above.

Before I pass judgment on the situation, I'd really like to hear Steam's side of the story.

That being said, my Fall gaming schedule is starting to fill up and I might be okay with not getting BF3 right away. Maybe.

Only have Origin on the wife's laptop because she bought Alice through Amazon digital download, it's required to play the game, so therefore in my mind Origin is purely for DRM purposes, and nothing more, which would explain the complete uselessness of it beyond that.

I'm not convinced about EA's move, and I won't be buying BF3 anytime soon, Mass Effect3 can also wait until the ultimate edition is released, and dropped down to $39.

i swear i remember reading that it was valve not letting EA games onto steam now because it violates their TOS. I believe valve said that games cannot have a ingame purchase system which is why dragon age 2 was pulled and most likely y BF3 will not be allowed on.

Man, PC gamers sure are bitchy. I hate a lot of the stuff that goes on just like anyone else, and when I boycott games (MW2), I truly boycott them and don't just buy it later. However, boycotting because it is not on Steam? Makes no sense.

now that i think about it.. wasn't crysis 2 pulled from steam for having a in game store system as well? I remember reading about something like that months ago...

meh whatever... steam, origin, impulse, D2D (download manager or comrad)...etc... all the same to me...

if anything D2D & Impulse are the least intrusive cause they don't need to be loaded to play a game if I remember right.

I put all my shortcuts in a separate folder anyways so I don't have to bother with where did I buy what...

No, it's not the end of the world. However, I still won't buy a game that isn't on Steam at this point. I don't want to have to keep track of keys, install files, etc. (like I do with D2D,) I don't want a box and disc sitting around, and 99.99% of what I want IS on Steam, and for excellent prices most of the time. I don't want multiple clients, passwords, etc. So, give me a compelling reason to NOT be a Steam exclusive person.

I'm sure you could come up with one, but not one that involves EA. And I REALLY REALLY REALLY want Mass Effect 3 BADLY!!! I mean REALLY want it. But, I'm not going to get it from another service. Why would I want my whole collection of games on Steam, and one game (no matter how bad I want it) on another. Ridiculous.

How many different online accounts do you have...you can't remember ONE more password? Also, if BF3 is anything like BC2, you would have to remember your EA account password ANYWAY. So now it comes down to....you don't want origin installed? Who the hell cares, can you not spare an extra 20-40mb of disk space?

Not buying a game because is not on steam is kind of like not buying a product because it's not available at Bestbuy.

So what, EA is simply choosing not to use Steam as a distributer. It's not a crime, scandal or evil. If Steam wants BF3 on its service, they need to negotiate a deal that satisfies both EA and themselves, just like any other distributer.

Not buying a game because is not on steam is kind of like not buying a product because it's not available at Bestbuy.

So what, EA is simply choosing not to use Steam as a distributer. It's not a crime, scandal or evil. If Steam wants BF3 on its service, they need to negotiate a deal that satisfies both EA and themselves, just like any other distributer.

Do you think it will help EA's sales to have it NOT distributed on the world's largest DD? Sounds like posturing to me.

How many EA accounts have been hacked vs. Steam?

I have two EA accounts and was recently notified by EA that both had been jeopardized and was made to change my passwords. My STEAM account has never been hacked.

BOTH sides need to start saying something... anything. People seem to think EA actually said something in the forum post.

"Unfortunately, Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content. No other download service has adopted these practices. "

HTF do they want to "interact" with customers?

Are we talking about an in-game updater? In-game Store??? Both???

Updater... no big deal, as a customer I just want my stuff updated. It's nice that steam updates when I am not around, where the built in probably only would update once I actually want to play. But ok... not a big deal.

In-game store? I can see how steam wants a cut of the pie,,, Why don't they ask for a larger "DLC" cut. If you offer ingame crap we want 50% or whatever... There is also reason for support. Its nice to know that at minimum all I need is to remember my steam account. If for what ever reason, I forget my BF3 account (or I want to create another), I won't loose my DLC... again kinda small excuse there.

Is there some sort of advertising Steam disagree's with? Pop-up notifications? This was constitute "interaction with customers". I doubt it but NOONE is actually saying anything.

Rumor has it, its the DLC issue. Which I understand.

Some have stated that boycotting talk is going too far using the insult fanboy.

What I'm talking about goes far beyond this game and are reasons we everyone should stay way from EA:

Point 1: http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
Point 2: http://www.easports.com/onlinepass

Neither of these should exist and need to be encouraged. In the case of the PC I can set up my own server and do not need your help, in the case of the 360 and PS3, they too can hold their own. For the matter of DLC... I am already paying for it so why make me pay for it and then pay again. So lets say you have roster updates, do them in quarters or halfs, even full years and call it a DLC, do a minimum charge and done.

Booth of these are solely to drive profit and do so in places where they don't belong. These base reasons and their continued aggression towards customers is the reasons why I will just leave them alone and I believe you should too.

I own over 600 games on Steam, including my share of EA games. I can definitely say that I prefer Bethesda marketing decision. Pre-ordered RAGE and Skyrim and bought their Quakecon pack. That's how you sell games and offer your customers a good service. I still choose to buy Witcher 2 on GOG.com. Because they offered me something more that I was interested in. EA has never done that.

I'm not a Steam fanboi by any means, but I'll be passing on BF3 because of this. I've been pissed at EA before pleanty, so this just seals the deal on me not buying BF3. If it shows up on Steam i'll grab it, otherwise.......... /nerdrage :mad:

Let's rewrite that to say, "EA is too restrictive for BF3."

Damn them for owning the best game franchise on the planet.

I'm still just going to sit here and not order until it goes up on Steam... either that or I'll buy a boxed copy but I will NOT buy it through Origin.

I don't really care if it's on steam or not, though that is where I would buy it from if I had the choice.

What I DO care about is not having Origin malware on my computer; not now, not ever.

I'll buy a boxed copy if and only if Origin is not a requirement.

Origin == Steam.

Why should Valve get a cut of EVERY other publishers \ developers games?

Valve has a monopoly and hopefully this competition is good.

No Steam = no sale

Seriously, get with the times EA. Everyone uses Steam and no one wants to try your crappy DRM/DD platform. The only company that can get away with not being on Steam at this point is Blizzard, and that's only because their games are so damn good people will buy them anyway.

How many different online accounts do you have...you can't remember ONE more password? Also, if BF3 is anything like BC2, you would have to remember your EA account password ANYWAY. So now it comes down to....you don't want origin installed? Who the hell cares, can you not spare an extra 20-40mb of disk space?

It's not that I CAN'T remember another password, or set up another account. It's that I WON'T do it. It's not just a password and account either. I have moved my entire PC games collection to Steam. I think at last count, it was sitting around $2000 worth of games. I have four Steam accounts too, because I have kids, and I like to be able to have a couple of copies of some specific MP games that I get enough use out of.

Now why would I want to have to download install files, copy and paste keys, and generally have to keep track of other services, when (like I already said,) I have 99.99% of what I want in one, very easy to use service, where I don't have to worry about keys, install files, etc. I click on a game, it downloads, I play it. There has never been an easier way to play a PC game.

I'm not lazy. Far from it, but keeping track of accounts, keys, etc. is just not something I feel like doing anymore. I have other hobbies, and when I want to spend some of my limited time on playing games, simplicity, ease of use, reliability, etc. are VERY important. My other hobbies included analog circuit design for modular synthesizers, music composition, and a bunch of outdoor type activities. I just really don't have room in my brain or extra time to put into games. I still want to play them, but Steam takes care of most of the work, and let's me get to the play portion. How can you fault that?

PS. When did people suddenly start supporting/defending EA and their business practices? I must have missed the memo. From my experience, they've bought and dismantled amazing games companies, sat on beautiful IPs for their own greedy hording needs, and are generally half-assed hacks. Why did id leave them for Bethesda? Hmmmm...

Origin == Steam.

Why should Valve get a cut of EVERY other publishers \ developers games?

Valve has a monopoly and hopefully this competition is good.

Because it is another outlet for EA to sell copies, and Valve advertises for them. Valve doesn't have a monopoly, they just have a majority share. D2D, Gamersgate, GoG, even Impulse are doing fine. There isn't any reason NOT to sell the game on Origins, but also no reason NOT to sell it on Steam at the same time. I don't doubt the lost sales will be more than what Valve takes as a cut. They are trying to hurt the public image of Steam, and to a small extent, succeeding.

How many EA accounts have been hacked vs. Steam?

Reason they have Origin as a go between.Get hacked and EA can point their finger at Origin. Sony used that same angle when they got hacked, blamed it on Qriocity which is owned by sony.

The dealbreaker for me is a one year download window, if that is true, haven't looked it up.
1. Can you download the game to a disk using a dvd burner?

If not then I will probably buy a physical copy. Box art!

This is what I have heard, but have not really heard of what the "time frame" is:

Origin Entitlement Expiration
The Origin terms of service are designed to protect against misuse of the Origin system. No Origin user who has paid entitlements and/or downloaded games will have their account cancelled or games expired due to extended non-use. The term regarding account cancellation for non-use is designed to guard against creation of non-active accounts for inappropriate reasons.

Because it is another outlet for EA to sell copies, and Valve advertises for them. Valve doesn't have a monopoly, they just have a majority share. D2D, Gamersgate, GoG, even Impulse are doing fine. There isn't any reason NOT to sell the game on Origins, but also no reason NOT to sell it on Steam at the same time. I don't doubt the lost sales will be more than what Valve takes as a cut. They are trying to hurt the public image of Steam, and to a small extent, succeeding.

So Valve should sell games using Origin as well right? and D2D, Gamersgate, GoG, right?

Valve has a near monopoly then.

Do you realize it is not about the game. It is about the DLC. D2D, Gamersgate and others will not sell DLC. Steam demands to sell DLC and demands their share. So sorry guys, but it is Valve who is the guy with the bigger share on creating the issue in first place, and EA is the guy who decided not to sell then.

Analogy time :
It is like Volkswagen (EA) wants you (Valve) to sell their cars, but you (Valve) won't do it unless all cars (games) sold in your store are exclusively repaired (DLC) in your shop (Steam), while you will take 30% of the payments for the repairs. Other shops (D2D, Gamersgate) allow the cars to be repaired (DLC) in the authorized repair centers (Origin), with no extra fees to the shop who sold you the car in first place.

If you buy a game on Steam, you shouldn't need any DRM whatsoever, EA is full of shit, I will pass on Battlefield 3, I hope you all enjoy getting it up the ass from EA when you buy their piece of shit game with all the fucking restrictive shit they pile on top of it.
but steam won't let you run games you buy on steam without the steam client running, at least every game I own when I run the .exe it starts steam. steam in itself is the drm.

and for buying bf3 oh i will, and i'll love it.

you guys are making origin sound like its hogging your system down, if it is than you shouldn't be on this forum. download the game from origin, it installs and looks like retail. right now with bfbc2, i don't need origin running; if that changes with bf3 big deal. log on to origin, log on to bf3 with my ea account, and I can start pwning.
big whoop.

It looks like I won't be in any rush to pick up BF3 mainly because I am tired of their crap. Whenever they arn't ruining an awesome gaming IP, they are pulling stuff like this. Steam has made it so nice to organize my games, but I will probably wait a while and then pick up a retail boxed version. If the retail boxed version forces you to install some Origin crap, then i'll probably pass as I don't need a million different potential problems.

So Valve should sell games using Origin as well right? and D2D, Gamersgate, GoG, right?

Valve has a near monopoly then.

Yea, why not? Did you somehow come to the conclusion I'd be against getting Valve games from other outlets? I never implied such.

A near Monopoly? I don't think so. Many of us buy games regularly from the other sites. Why does Valve have such a head start? Because the industry was waaaaaaaaaaaaay too fucking slow to notice they might need to compete. Their marketshare is deserved.

Do you realize it is not about the game. It is about the DLC. D2D, Gamersgate and others will not sell DLC. Steam demands to sell DLC and demands their share. So sorry guys, but it is Valve who is the guy with the bigger share on creating the issue in first place, and EA is the guy who decided not to sell then.

Analogy time :
It is like Volkswagen (EA) wants you (Valve) to sell their cars, but you (Valve) won't do it unless all cars (games) sold in your store are exclusively repaired (DLC) in your shop (Steam), while you will take 30% of the payments for the repairs. Other shops (D2D, Gamersgate) allow the cars to be repaired (DLC) in the authorized repair centers (Origin), with no extra fees to the shop who sold you the car in first place.

Valve demands money for advertising for EA? I'm shocked.

i'm not going to shed a single tear over not having to deal with steam. i bought two digital copies of metro 2033. the first one through steam that never launches, even to this day. the second through direct2drive that always fires up. go fig huh? and yes i know the d2d copy still launches through steam. again, i can't explain why the steam-sourced version doesn't want to run.

There are plenty of reasons to get angry at EA, but not selling their games through a competitor's system is not one of them.

Why is anyone advocating Steam anyway? It sucks the control away from the consumer, makes games unresellable and shovels ads down your throat. Valve sure hoodwinked you all.

If it isn't on Steam it's not worth playing. I got a couple years of backlog and BF3 won't be missed.

Why is anyone advocating Steam anyway? It sucks the control away from the consumer, makes games unresellable and shovels ads down your throat. Valve sure hoodwinked you all.
Any digital distribution prevents resale, so that's not an issue unique to Steam. Not sure what you are talking about but I haven't seen ads on Steam, other than ads for other games offered on Steam.

What makes Steam great is the selection and the deep discounts if you care to wait for them.

Steam is to games what Netflix is to movies. Yes, there are alternatives but in comparison they all suck.

There are plenty of reasons to get angry at EA, but not selling their games through a competitor's system is not one of them.

The problem is that EA WANTS TO SELL THE GAME THROUGH THEIR COMPETITOR'S SYSTEM. BF3 is on many many digital distribution services.

Valve won't let BF3 on Steam? BOYCOTT EA THEY ARE EVIL!!!!

Cry more people, just because it isn't on steam. I'm still waiting till I can try it myself before deciding if I want it.

In my house we have to keep two accounts for everything. I have two sons that play games all the time and I like to play from time to time.

The problem with Origin is that they put out an update every week or two so when my boys want to play Crysis 2 or something else on there they have to grab me to do the update, then I have to remember all of the username and passwords for all of these accounts.

Anyhow, the cool thing about Steam is if there is an update it just does it and you don't have to log back in or just through a bunch of BS hoops.

Back