EA Building Microtransactions Into All Its Games

So I'm going to leave a credit card on record with EA? Or better yet some parent is going to allow their kid to have a credit card on record with EA?

One security breach and its all about over. Ask Sony.

After a ton of backlash over comments made last week on microtransactions, EA's CFO seems to have changed his stance a bit.

Electronic Arts chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen clarified today that while all of EA's future games will support the ability to include microtransactions, that doesn't mean that all of them will actually have them.

you guys have to realize that EA implemented this because...(SHOCK)...it's profitable....some idiots actually buy those micro-transactions...

"That doesn't mean all of them will have it"

Translation

"All our upcoming games will have microtransactions"

Seriously am I supposed to believe a CEO who's number one fucking point he's made at -EVERY- game design meeting is "MAKE IT LIKE COD, WE WANT COD'S AUDIENCE!"

Dead Space? MAKE IT LIKE COD!

Dragon age? MAKE IT LIKE COD!

Mass Effect? MAKE IT LIKE COD!

Fuck what made the games popular, we want COD sales, so MAKE IT LIKE COD!!!

I swear the CEO's of EA must have pictures of actual cod's all over their walls

"WE NEED TO MAKE THE NEXT COD, COD COD COD, I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT COD, GOD I LOVE COD SO MUCH I WISH I WAS A BEAR!"

The microtransaction model works well provided the game is free, and that you can still play without buying anything. Buying should simply help you further. For example, Evony has a nice setup. it's free to play, but it's very hard to get the medals required so you can move up and get more towns. You can grind and eventually get them, OR you can pay 25 bucks for the medal box to move up. I was playing that game casually and ended up blowing 90 bucks total on it throughout the year or so that I played.

I don't expect EA to execute this very well though, things should get rather interesting. Bet they'll still be charging for the game, and you will be practically forced to pay for stuff again in it.

Backlash? But I thought all of their customers fully supported the micro transaction model. Lol.

It's not the game content that keeps me from buying dead space. It's the fact that:

-It's not on steam. I'll choose what store I shop at, TYVM. If I can't buy the game at the store I want to, I simply won't buy your product.

-Microtransactions. Fine for F2P, but not games that you pay $60 for! Yes, people will say you can earn the same weapons in the game by scavenging resources, but making things obtusely hard to obtain and then giving a "pay me $$$" shortcut is very shady, especially in single player mode. Previously, if you wanted easy-mode single player you typed in a cheat code, you didn't need to cough up cash to buy damn virtual items. EA's new microtransation philosophy is an offensive cash grab at best.

WoT's does it pretty well, but you can play for free if you wish. Its a good model.
EA wont do that though.

They should have it so that you can choose to pay for something when you haven’t got time to go look for it. I would be fine with that.

I seriously hope someone firebombs their headquarters on a day when all the execs are in and locks all exits.

consumers are enjoying and embracing that way of the business

Wrap hands around EA's neck.
Squeeze.
Call it an embrace.
Enjoyment will follow naturally.

Pay to Win garbage. Whatever happened to people actually leveling up and unlocking stuff by earning it? No, instead, buy the full weapon pack for just $20 more. Oh, and dont forget you already payed $69.99 for the game. Then you'll pay us an additional $49.99 for a map pack expansion.

lets also not forget that the economy is doing so well, that we are gonna charge $69.99 per game instead of $59.99

Back