• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8600 vs i5 750

You would need a new mobo,cpu,ram - not sure if the cost would be justified.
Do you feel limited in some way (performance wise)? If the games you play don't require more CPU horsepower I wouldn't upgrade right now.

Are you running the E8600 at stock? If yes, I would OC it to at least 3.8GHz (4GHz should be easy)
You could get a cheap CM Hyper 212 Plus cooler if you're using stock cooling
 
Last edited:
I'd like to gain some frames in Crysis. I know overclocking the E8600 will give me some, but not sure if it'll be enough. UT2004 is the other one. You might laugh, but that particular Unreal engine is highly dependant on CPU power, and I'd like to keep everything above 60fps with 20+ players in a tight map.

I'll get a TRUE or IFX and try overclocking it, but I haven't had much success overclocking in the past... I couldn't even get my brothers E8400 stable at 3.6GHz. :(

I'm getting the HD 5870, and an E8600 is going to bottleneck that regardless of overclocking... Would the i5 750 bottleneck an HD 5870?

I thought I recognized Skakruk as a Skaarj PC from UT2004. :p But yes, it is indeed CPU-intensive.

In fact, it is so CPU-intensive that I think even the i5 750 would be a bottleneck in that game, unless you're running maxed settings with 8xAA in a 5040*1050 Eyefinity.

Crysis on the other hand is intensive on both the CPU and GPU. Whether you'll see a performance benefit with the i5 depends mostly on the resolutions you'll be playing at. Lower resolutions will benefit marginally clock-for-clock, but higher than 1680*1050 and you might be hard-pressed to find a difference. EDIT: Actually Crysis will benefit quite a bit from the i5 750 since it's rather threaded and the 750 offers two more cores. My notions would hold true more for a Q9550 vs. the i5 750.

I had an E8400 E0 that couldn't hit 3.6GHz stable either, yet my Q9550 E0 gets up to 3.8+ on air with all other variables held constant.. luck of the draw.
 
I had a e8400 that I recently donated to a good friend . It was my 24/7 and gaming pc for almost two years. It ran flawless @ 3.9GHz for hours on end with a Thermaltake V1 cooler. While I own many i7 chips, I just can't seem to justify relegating the C2D's to the junk bin just yet. Still one of the most awesome family of cpu's to hit the market and still worth the money.
 
4GHz for us is easy, remove brain, set 10X multiplier, 400MHz FSB, reboot, stress test

No reason to run at stock speeds.
 
Try overclocking your E8600. It should still be capable of providing a decent frame rate in most games. It's going to cost you some money to upgrade to i7, and I think your system is still good enough to last you some time.
 
Back
Top