E8600 4.0Ghz @ 1.24v

lohoutlaw

Weaksauce
Hello guys,
Thought i would share my findings.
I originally posted this at BPC: BPC Linky

I did some voltage changes at the heart of the board.
Surprised myself with my findings.

I thought i would run a couple of tests to see just what voltage it took to make my O/C's stable.
As you can see from my last post that my voltages were kinda high to start with. But after adjusting most of the settings that count, i ran with it.

So these 2 tests were done with IntelBurn software, 10 irritations to be sure of stability 2X.
For each test run, i dropped the voltage to CPU 1 increment until i came up with the correct voltage required for my CPU.(Screen shots provided below)

Asus Rampage Formula
Intel E8600

Voltage as follows:
CPU ********
CPU PLL 1.50v
NB 1.55v
Dram 2.14v @ 2T
FSB Term 1.36v
SB 1.050v
SB 1.5v Voltage 1.50v
Load Line Enabled
All other voltage settings set to auto.

All the setting above were left alone on these tests, only adjustments i made were to CPU voltage.

(1.33750v to CPU bios)
4400mhz x 8 @ 2200FSB, Bus speed 550.0mhz @ 59c load temp.

44-2200fsb133750v-1.jpg

44-2200fsb133750v2-1.jpg

(1.24375v to CPU bios)
4000mhz x 8 @ 2000FSB, Bus speed 500.0mhz @ 50c load temp.
As you can see i threw the Asus Probe software in there to help with CPU voltage confirmation. Yes it is a bit buggy as well.

40-2000fsb124375v2.jpg

40-2000fsb124375v.jpg

As you can see in the screen shots i managed to get my CPU O/C'd stable with a huge decrease in voltage to CPU. :)
A Thank you to Renegade5399 @ BPC for the voltage help :)
I hope this will help others in the long run with there o/c's.

Source thread @ BPC

Enjoy :)

I'm jealous of your overclock, core voltage, memory settings, and temperature.
Most especially the temperature. 25C idle at 4 GHz?! Please tell me you're on water.

didn't expect the E0 to be that good!

also, are u sure those temps are correct? Coretemp always shows up as 10c lower than realtemp.

TY for the reply m8,

I am almost sure the temps are good.
I have check with SpeedFan, CoreTemp, HWMonitor, all read with in 1-2c of each other.
Never did like RealTemp.

Besides its really cold in my room. LOL

EDIT, just tried RealTemp and it read 3c lower in temps then the rest. LOL

1.24V is a solid voltage, but you should be able to hit 4.0 closer to 1.2 with some tweaking.

Make sure you have realtemp set to a TJMax of 100C for reading temps. It seems that your sensors aren't stuck at 40C for an idle temp like mine are.

I'm curious to see if I can get my 4.4GHz voltage closer to yours, I've been running 1.35 for now but it seems I could do better.

1.24V is a solid voltage, but you should be able to hit 4.0 closer to 1.2 with some tweaking.

Make sure you have realtemp set to a TJMax of 100C for reading temps. It seems that your sensors aren't stuck at 40C for an idle temp like mine are.

I'm curious to see if I can get my 4.4GHz voltage closer to yours, I've been running 1.35 for now but it seems I could do better.

1.35V @ 4.4 here too... And my E8600 runs friggin' HOT. No where near the OP's. And it ran fairly hot at stock too...

1.35V @ 4.4 here too... And my E8600 runs friggin' HOT. No where near the OP's. And it ran fairly hot at stock too...

Yeah my load temps are hotter than I'd like (70C+). I'd like to see a Realtemp screenshot of his temps @ 1.32V for comparison...

25C is really low for idle too, but then again he is running a bench setup with an extra fan. I'm just having some doubts that those temps are trustworthy with that Zalman cooler if you're getting hotter temps with a copper TRUE.

Yeah my load temps are hotter than I'd like (70C+). I'd like to see a Realtemp screenshot of his temps @ 1.32V for comparison...

25C is really low for idle too, but then again he is running a bench setup with an extra fan. I'm just having some doubts that those temps are trustworthy with that Zalman cooler if you're getting hotter temps with a copper TRUE.

Oh crap, I need to update my sig. I sold my Cu TRUE and am back with my normal TRUE, ha... I took one lift of that thing and decided to sell 'er. No way my 2 38mm 120's would go on thar without ripping out my mobo. It's like installing a bowling ball in yer case...

Wouldn't most of the load be placed on the screws/spacers and into the back panel of your case?
It's not like you're holding the motherboard upside down, by the edges, and letting the TRUE hang down.

As long as you used every screw hole on your board, it acts like a giant seatbelt.

Wouldn't most of the load be placed on the screws/spacers and into the back panel of your case?
It's not like you're holding the motherboard upside down, by the edges, and letting the TRUE hang down.

As long as you used every screw hole on your board, it acts like a giant seatbelt.

Still be a lot of torque on the board, assuming your board is in the case vertically. That copper TRUE looks like it was made for horizontal motherboards.

Nice clocks, its a e8600, so seeing 4.4ghz does not surprise me. What are your scores for 3dmark06 cpu wise? @ 4.4ghz, just trying to get a diff rate when i had my old e5200 @ 4.4ghz @ 1.5v, I scored 3751 @ 4.4ghz. :cool:

Your temps are out of this world as well, but makes sense since its cold in your overclocking space :D

It's hard to grasp the sheer weight in an email thread man. I bought one, knowing it would be iffy. As soon as I held the thing in my hands with two heavy 38mm strapped to it. It doesn't take long to figure out why Thermalright warns against vertical usage. The thing was just damn HEAVY. Kickass cooler though - the BEST. And it looks beautiful.

I will do more once i get my W/Cing up and done.
Just for the moment i just wanted to see if i could boot at 4.7Ghz, and it did.
But was not stable at all.
Put her back to stock until the cooling aspect is done. :)

This was at 1.45v bios and these do get warm quick don't they. LOL
Forgot to hit memory tab on CPU'z. LOL

47nostable.jpg

Also, for the Zalman fan, Would there be enough clearance to fit in an ATX HTPC case?

Asus Rampage Formula is the board.
Also i have a ThermalTake Full tower.
But i will be going water cooling for the CPU with the clear fluid look with red CC lights for that evil look.:)

See my mess

PC310038.jpg

Back