E8500?

sprak74

Gawd
Is E8500 available yet? If so where. I can't seem to find place that sell them. Also, from what I have read, is this cpu for servers only? Thanks.

Don't know where you heard that for servers only, LOL. But I'm still waiting on my pre-order to ship... no word yet.

Its a Core2Duo, not a Xeon... so its for desktops, not servers. However, if the sockets are the same and the board supports it, you could use a Xeon in a desktop board, and vice-versa.

Wonder what happened to the E8500? I had heard that they were supposed to be available to purchase on Wednesday. Two days later and the only sign that it exists is a few places that are taking pre-orders.

Just talked with NewEgg and they said that they don't have an estimated sell date for the E8500.

I was looking for one too, but couldn't find one in stock anywhere.

Several places were "selling" them, but none indicated they were in-stock.

I figured whats the big deal... its only a 1/2 multiplier higher... which isn't really worth the extra $100 over the e8400.

Normally you get a whole multiplier higher for the price bump.

Even at 400-500FSB x 1/2 multiplier, the 8500 will only be clocked 200-250 higher CPU speed.

Now if it was 10x multi, instead of 9.5 for the 8500, it might be worth $100 to pay for a whole 400-500Mhz faster.

I was looking for one too, but couldn't find one in stock anywhere.

Several places were "selling" them, but none indicated they were in-stock.

I figured whats the big deal... its only a 1/2 multiplier higher... which isn't really worth the extra $100 over the e8400.

Normally you get a whole multiplier higher for the price bump.

Even at 400-500FSB x 1/2 multiplier, the 8500 will only be clocked 200-250 higher CPU speed.

Now if it was 10x multi, instead of 9.5 for the 8500, it might be worth $100 to pay for a whole 400-500Mhz faster.

qft

Really good points there. So I just canceled the "pre-order" E8500 from pcsforeveryone, and ordered an E8400 from newegg.

4.0GHz stable is good enough for me, and I just saved $100.:p

edit: I ended up getting fedex overnight, so I should have it tomorrow to play with.

Really good points there. So I just canceled the "pre-order" E8500 from pcsforeveryone, and ordered an E8400 from newegg.

4.0GHz stable is good enough for me, and I just saved $100.:p

edit: I ended up getting fedex overnight, so I should have it tomorrow to play with.

I got FedEx overnight shipping today also.

But unless it specifically says Saturday delivery, I don't think you'll get it until Monday.

chris, mine was just delivered, and sitting on my doorstep!

So when I get home tonight after work, I'll fire this puppy up and see what kind of OC i get.:cool::D

My 8400 should be here Wednesday. I'm kinda stoked as its been about 2 years since my last build. I was going to wait for the E8500 or the Q9550 but couldn't and said the hell with it.

Ah I love the smell of new hardware in the morning! Going to do some "gut" swapping between my daughter's PC and mine.

chris, mine was just delivered, and sitting on my doorstep!

So when I get home tonight after work, I'll fire this puppy up and see what kind of OC i get.:cool::D

Mine was delivered, but it didn't work, I think I broke my motherboard! :(

Mine was delivered, but it didn't work, I think I broke my motherboard! :(

Wow that sucks.

I have OC'd the E8400 at 4162Mhz @ 1.45v (orthos stable)

Weird thing though is CPU-Z (ver.1.43) was not reading the multiplyer correctly.

FSB is 462x9

Back