e8400 vs e7500

Xaero_toast

Limp Gawd
Quick question. I know this is old stuff, but the objective here is a free build with leftover parts I have available.

It's a dell 780 small form factor pc. It's just a little web browsing/light gaming computer for the kids. Onboard graphics are adequate for what they're doing.

I have two processor choices available. Both are dual core. The only differences will be clock speed and cache size.

Option 1: e8400 @ 3.0GHz clock speed, 6MB L2
Option 2: e7500 @ 3.66GHz clock speed, 3MB L2

The e7500 will reach that speed with a simple bsel pad mod OC. Which is presumed to be the greater benefit? One has .66GHz more clock, the other 3MB more L2 cache.

Don't bother with the BSEL mod in this case, just grab the e8400 and go. It should do just fine.

The BSEL mod with the e7500 has stability issues IIRC.

Second the Wolfdale, although both chips are very close to each other.

I suspect that the Wolfdale also overclocks better due to the support for 1333mhz ram. I remember seeing it a common thing to take those chips up to 4ghz and beyond.

I had an E2160 which I overclocked to the speed of a dual core E6600, my cpu had 1MB of cache and I think the E4000 series had 2MB onboard and the E6600 had 4MB, anyway I looked at the graphics benchmarks for single threaded games (like BF2 and BF2142) running with the E6600 and the same video card and I calculated I got about 90% of the performance at the same speed, so the extra cache back then really wasn't that important, single threaded games are obsolete so looking at it from todays perspective and the previous two replies I'd also recommend the E8400 as well.

Cheers

Back