• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8400 voltage too high?

Nosenuggets45

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 6, 2008
Messages
492
I'm currently running my E8400 at 4.38GHz (487 x 9) with 1.36v. Is that too much volts? My load temp with intel burn test is 68C and my idle is 33C.

We are going for 4.5Ghz so how much more room do I have on the volts?

We had 4.53ghz running in xp with 1.4v though I didn't feel safe so we went back to the settings I'm using currently.
 
I believe your fine. I see others running similar voltage at that speed. I have a Q9550 on a rampage formula running 4.03 @ 1.392v. although mine is running a little warmer than yours using same HSF. Under Prime 95 my chip hits 70c in some instances but my case is tucked underneath my desk in an enclonsed area. Good luck and clock on.
 
wow, thats pretty impressive voltage at that speed.

my E8500 is at 4.3 stable at @ 1.424v on cpuz. i think its like 1.46 in the bios though.

idle temps of ~45. avg full load of ~67
 
Your voltages are fine. I wouldnt go too far past 1.4 volts for a extended period.
 
Thanks guys. We did try for the hell of it to boot with 1.4v. How safe is that for 24/7 operation and what is a maximum temperature I should be aware of? When I ran IBT with the 1.4v my temps hit 71C and even 74C then I turned the program off.
 
Your fine guy. Ya, you can definately end up w/ degradation if you go over 1.45v 24/7. Where your at now, and even if you move up a little bit, I dont think you have anything to worry about.

I'm doing 1.45v on my QX9650 at 4050, and have been running it there for a while. Under load it drops down to about 1.42.
 
Thanks guys. We did try for the hell of it to boot with 1.4v. How safe is that for 24/7 operation and what is a maximum temperature I should be aware of? When I ran IBT with the 1.4v my temps hit 71C and even 74C then I turned the program off.

Your CPU can handle temperatures of up to 100C before you have to worry about anything (and even then, the CPU's own thermal management features will make sure that nothing gets damaged). As for the voltage, like I said, 1.4V or below is safe. I would not use anything higher than that.
 
So it seems in my case I should be fine with anything 1.4v and below. I still don't feel safe letting my own CPU manage its voltage if it overheats in order to become damaged and seeing my temps well over. I just can't get used to that.
 
All I can say is that you have an excellent chip (and/or board) and a fantastic cooler.

Love my Xigmatek. Not sure if I will be able to return to H²O on Tuesday. :eek:
 
Back
Top