e8400 VID question. 1.25 high?

elgato

n00b
Joined
Mar 4, 2008
Messages
30
Hi guys.

I just got my e8400 C0 from Newegg.

Batch Q815.


On the box it says vID 1.25v.

I've seen some boxes with 1.225v.

Is higher.. worse?


I've done some reading but I can't figure out if the VID is the mininum voltage to make it run at 3.0ghz stable or if it's actually the maximum voltage for this particular batch.



If it is the minimum... does that mean (in theory) that I'll need more voltage than another CPU with VID 1.1225 to reach the same clock speed if I OC it?



Thanks!


edit: It says 1.25v MAX on the box. Yet to check it with Coretemp.
 
as far as i know, the vid isnt on the box. i dont remember too tough, but set everything to default/auto, boot into windows, and either coretemp or cpuz will give your true vid. and the stuff about high or low vid meaning good or bad overclocker is a legend. its the minimum voltage needed to run the default speed stable. thats all.

newegg still shipping e8400 c0? they shipped e8500 e0 for about 1 day, now back to cpu's packed in april with broke sensors. newegg has to be the worst place to buy processors for overclocking. i have got 1 good overclocker in over 15 cpu's i have bought from the in the last year or 2.
 
newegg still shipping e8400 c0? they shipped e8500 e0 for about 1 day, now back to cpu's packed in april with broke sensors. newegg has to be the worst place to buy processors for overclocking. i have got 1 good overclocker in over 15 cpu's i have bought from the in the last year or 2.

Yeah even though I ordered it on sept 11th. Came yesterday due to hurricane Ike and the power outage here in Houston.

packed 5/20/08

anyways just checked the box and it says "1.25v max". So I guess it's just intel's recommendation not to go over that voltage.
 
anyways...


Why do some boxes say VID 1.225 max and others 1.25v max? Even from the same batch.

Does that mean that the ones that say "1.25v max" can be pushed even further that the other ones and still be safe?
 
Yeah even though I ordered it on sept 11th. Came yesterday due to hurricane Ike and the power outage here in Houston.

packed 5/20/08

anyways just checked the box and it says "1.25v max". So I guess it's just intel's recommendation not to go over that voltage.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAPL

VID Voltage Range: 0.85V – 1.3625V

That is the max voltage for the E8400 with C0 stepping. That's the max voltage for all 45nm Intel processors.
 
Why does the cpu box not state 1.3625 V max? I have an E8400, and the box says 1.25 V max. If it is really 1.3625, then what is the 1.25 v number for? :confused:
 
Why does the cpu box not state 1.3625 V max? I have an E8400, and the box says 1.25 V max. If it is really 1.3625, then what is the 1.25 v number for? :confused:
Different chips come with different VIDs, depending on what batches they're from. It's kind of luck of the draw, although I haven't heard of any E8400s coming with VIDs of 1.3625. I'd think those would end up being packaged as "lesser" processors at that rate.

a 1.25v isn't bad, though it isn't great either. You never really know how well a chip will scale until you try overclocking it.
 
And just because your board gives it X amount of vcore by default doesn't mean it's not stable with less voltage.
 
Different chips come with different VIDs, depending on what batches they're from. It's kind of luck of the draw, although I haven't heard of any E8400s coming with VIDs of 1.3625. I'd think those would end up being packaged as "lesser" processors at that rate.

a 1.25v isn't bad, though it isn't great either. You never really know how well a chip will scale until you try overclocking it.

Hey

I was not referring to the VID. The VID for my chip is 1.225. Does the max voltage listed on the box mean that one is not supposed to go above 1.25 volts, or does it mean that 1.25 is the max standard voltage from the factory? Since 1.3625 is said to be the max, then what does this 1.25 v max on the box mean then (since my vid is not 1.25, but 1.225)? Thanks
 
Back
Top