• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8400 to Q9550?

SilverSliver

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Feb 23, 2004
Messages
13,206
Is it worth the upgrade at a ~$220 pricepoint on the Q9550, or should I just wait a bit longer and go for an i7?
 
Does the E8400 do everything you need it to? If yes, then wait for the i7.
 
Good point. Think I'll wait a couple months and go i7 with an SSD. It's been just over one year since I built what I have now.
 
why "wait a bit longer to go for i7" ?

you want it to become cheaper?

if you go for the q9550, will you go i7 after a while anyways or will you stay with the q9550?
 
why "wait a bit longer to go for i7" ?

you want it to become cheaper?

if you go for the q9550, will you go i7 after a while anyways or will you stay with the q9550?

Even if I get the Q9550, I'll probably still just want an i7 I imagine. The i7 really pulls ahead of the Q9550 in terms of multi-GPU set-up's, right?
 
Yep, that's a tough decision, I'm in the same boat as the OP. Drop in a Q9xxx or upgrade the whole thing. Luckily I'm patient enough to see what i5 has to offer first.
 
If you were to sell the E8400 for $120 here on the forums, you'd be looking at a $99 upgrade. If you like the current setup and want to wait till the next gen of intel processors, thats a cheap upgrade.
 
i personally think its too early for i7's, im getting a 9550 my self this week .. considered and i7 build thought id wait ...
 
Wife nixed my i7 budget, but gave me the go ahead on a Q9550. It will hold me over til the next wave of processors.
 
I have the same CPU essentially and while it would be nice to get a quad I'm not going to spend money on something that isn't i7. It's your money though. :p
 
I figure for basically 80 bucks to upgrade, it's no big deal and will keep me happy for another 6 months.
 
I have an E2160 @ 3.0

Also considering a Q9550 but not sure if it's worth it.
 
its worth it unless you want to change mobo ram cpu
i saw huge performance increase in GTA4 especially crysis and stalker and supcom
i love this chip
 
I upgraded last year from an E8500 to a Q9650, and have not regretted the decision at all. Got a nice performance boost, even if single threaded apps and games.
 
I suppose you have considered the difference in heat going up to a Q9550?
Also, I currently have an E8600 which runs as cool as an icicle (well, almost) at 4GB.
My "fear" of a Q9550 would be the higher heat, and that 1 or more cores may not clock as high as the rest.

I am not a gamer, so I am assuming that encoding would be the only time I would notice a speed boost.
 
i think that most people want an i7 cause of their e-penis getting a hard on
 
my temps stay around 47c-50c under load idle 30c-33c
iam using a coolermaster cm590 case and a artic silver 7 pro heatsink fan combo
my chip is oced to 3.4ghz on stock voltage 1.21-1.22v 1:1 ratio 8.5x 400fsb
these chips do not get that hot
maybe when you start adding more voltage to get a higher oc but
they don't get that hot !
 
Back
Top