• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8400 temperature way too high

dochmbi

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
397
Hello.
I have a problem with my new computer, my cpu temperature is much higher than it should be.
Rig: Sonata 3 with earthwatts 500w psu, e8400, 4gb ram, asus p5q
Cooling:
cpu: Noctua NH-U12P (yes, I know how to apply thermal paste properly and have followed the installation instructions carefully)
gpu: accelero s1rev with a zalman zm-f3 fan running on maximum rpm (1800rpm)
front case fan mounted in HDD rack because it wouldn't fit behind the graphics card: 120mm 800rpm noctua (NF-S12-800)
rear case fan: 120mm 800rpm noctua (NF-S12-800)
psu fan

The front case fan is used for air intake and the psu and rear case fan are used for air output.
The gpu fan and the cpu fan blow in the same direction: upwards towards the psu

Cpu voltage is set in BIOS to 1,15V, FSB is 400 (e8400 @ 3,6Ghz) and ram are set to run according to their manufacturer specifications. Nothing else has been modified in BIOS.

I'm testing the system running both Orthos small FTTs and ATITool at the same time for maximum stress.

My problem: I get a very crappy 70C temperature at a mere 1,15V, despite having invested in a high end cpu cooler and having decent airflow.
My guess is it's a false reading, at least that's what I hope it is. I can't see what else it could be. I have tinkered with this computer a lot and I don't think there's anything else that could cause this heat.

Here's a screenshot of my desktop during the stress test (after running 1hour 10min).

http://koti.mbnet.fi/maxz/temperature.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated.

edit: I already have the latest BIOS downloaded from the Asus site.
 
Should I just stress test it with a higher voltage to find out if it's giving me false temperatures? Or should I try and out of case build to see if the case is blocking my airflow (doubtful). Is out of case with no airflow cooler than in case with airflow?

Edit: Ok so I tested with higher voltage and FSB and it turned out that it's an actual thermal issue, unless the computer shuts down because of perceived temperature instead of actual temperature.
Now I'm completely confused. Next test: Caseless build on the table.
 
try to reseat the heatsink, maybe it's not touching the cpu properly. Maybe run prime, then push down on the heatsink and see if the temp lowers.
 
try to reseat the heatsink, maybe it's not touching the cpu properly. Maybe run prime, then push down on the heatsink and see if the temp lowers.

I second that, try to reseat - check out your TIM application after you pull it off to see how the spread on the IHS and heatsink base looks

I got an E8500 that kinda runs hot at my 1.264v but nothing that crazy - I get 60-65c but I'm running her at 4ghz
 
Back
Top