e8400 temp question

quahitis

n00b
I've got my e8400 running at 3.6 on an Abit IP35 Pro. I am using Real Temp to display the temperatures and one core is reading 49c and the other is at 39c. I ran the Real Temp test and it reported that one of the sensors is stuck. Which reading should I believe?

I've got my e8400 running at 3.6 on an Abit IP35 Pro. I am using Real Temp to display the temperatures and one core is reading 49c and the other is at 39c. I ran the Real Temp test and it reported that one of the sensors is stuck. Which reading should I believe?

The one that isn't stuck (though TBH it's likely not that accurate)

When I ran the test under Real Temp it reported that one of the cores might possibly be stuck. However, after monitoring Real Temp for a period of time I noticed that both core temperatures fluctuate but one remains 7-10°C higher. This is my first dual core processor so I just wanted to find out if these temps are normal and if the difference between the core temps is normal.

The difference in temperature is not normal. Does the one that is higher only go down to a certain point and stop? What kind of numbers do you get when you do the sensor test?

The higher one only goes down to 40. The other one will go down much lower. I get a movement of 7 or so when I peform the sensor test in real temp. Did I get a bad chip?

I would guess the one won't go any lower than 40, so it gets stuck there. Not a whole lot you can do about it. The sensor is still operational so it will still shut down your cpu if it gets too high.

AFAIK the mobo Thermal Monitoring option uses the (wildly innacurate but probably more functional than 45nm DTS') motherbaord sensor, so that will definately be fine. As far as the sensors go, in this case it looks very likely the lower one is the one to trust.

Back