• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

e8400 stock heatsink

ironroot

n00b
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
55
Hi all
I am looking to build a new computer in a few weeks.
I have picked out everything I will need. Not going do any overclocking. the one thing I am unsure on is the stock heatsink for the e8400. Should I replace it right away or is it good enough.
I will pair the e8400 with intel DP43TF motherboard, nvidia 8800 gt and 2 gigs of ddr2 800 mhz ram, with vista 32 bit
If I need an aftermarket fan which one is the best.
I am looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106124
I have used their V1 design which is the same idea but was made out of copper.

thanks again
 
I'm currently using the stock fan at stock speeds. It does seem to get a little hot at full load. (47-52c)
I would use a aftermarket one.
 
I'm currently using the stock fan at stock speeds. It does seem to get a little hot at full load. (47-52c)
I would use a aftermarket one.
47-52C is not hot. If you're not overclocking, don't throw your money away on an unnecessary heat sink.
 
47-52C is not hot. If you're not overclocking, don't throw your money away on an unnecessary heat sink.
exactly what I was about to say. I do have a freezer pro myself because I am planning on overclocking down the road.
 
They do say stock cooling is fine for stock volts... but they also say you can never be too cool.

Since ironroot is asking about a decent aftermarket option the AC Freezer 7 Pro really fit the bill for above average cooling at a fair price About $27. Used to be $26.99 and free shipping now its $18.99 and they make you pay $8.25 for shipping. Its basically the same price. Probably the most popular s775 hsf at [H] is the Xigmatek S1283 For $36.99 with a $10MIR. Its hands down a better cooler than the AC.
Really and truly if you are not OCing the stock cooler is adequate. If you want to be cooler for cooler sakes and or are entertaining OCing at all. Either of this options will serve you fairly well.
 
They do say stock cooling is fine for stock volts... but they also say you can never be too cool.

Since ironroot is asking about a decent aftermarket option the AC Freezer 7 Pro really fit the bill for above average cooling at a fair price About $27. Used to be $26.99 and free shipping now its $18.99 and they make you pay $8.25 for shipping. Its basically the same price. Probably the most popular s775 hsf at [H] is the Xigmatek S1283 For $36.99 with a $10MIR. Its hands down a better cooler than the AC.
Really and truly if you are not OCing the stock cooler is adequate. If you want to be cooler for cooler sakes and or are entertaining OCing at all. Either of this options will serve you fairly well.
yeah with the Freezer pro on my stock E8500 I idle at 31-33 and usually hit 40-41 during games. after a half hour of prime 95 I did hit 46. I never used the stock cooler so I have nothing to compare it to though.

temps were taken from Core Temp.
 
Using the stock HSF from a buddy's E6750 (the one with the copper core) on my E8400 I hit 47-49C running two instances of Prime95, with AS Ceramique applied.
 
I'm having mixed results with mine. Under prime95 I hit about 50. I OC to 3.6and hit about 58 but when I switch to Intel burn in it skyrockets to almost 70. I bought a xigamatek, hopefully that helps my OC.

But man, doing that custom Intel test really puts the heat to your system. That's the REAL test for temp, run that fucker. I heard it cooks peoples CPU's it's so intense. Be warned.
 
yeah with the Freezer pro on my stock E8500 I idle at 31-33 and usually hit 40-41 during games. after a half hour of prime 95 I did hit 46. I never used the stock cooler so I have nothing to compare it to though.

temps were taken from Core Temp.

Yeah I was getting about the same temps when I ran my E7200 at 3.3Ghz on stock volts. With 1.4125v @ 3.9GHz max load I've ever seen once was 60ºC. That's as warm as I'm comfortable going which is kinda why I didn't push for 4Ghz despite being this close
 
I'm having mixed results with mine. Under prime95 I hit about 50. I OC to 3.6and hit about 58 but when I switch to Intel burn in it skyrockets to almost 70. I bought a xigamatek, hopefully that helps my OC.

But man, doing that custom Intel test really puts the heat to your system. That's the REAL test for temp, run that fucker. I heard it cooks peoples CPU's it's so intense. Be warned.

IBT is used for boiling water.:D
The Xigmatek is going to help big time over stock. I would be surprised to see your temps drop 15-20ºC over the stock cooler at your OC'd speed and voltage
 
IBT is used for boiling water.:D
The Xigmatek is going to help big time over stock. I would be surprised to see your temps drop 15-20ºC over the stock cooler at your OC'd speed and voltage
Well right now I have one of those Rosewill coolers from Newegg, the z775 one I believe it is. I don't think it's much better than a stock cooler. I even lapped it.
 
Back
Top