• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8400 SFF Build - Does this look OK?

Griminal

n00b
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
28
***edited title due to a change of CPU choice***

Would someone be kind enough to comment on my choice of components? I've spent too many days pouring over posts to come up with these parts. I plan to overclock... but not overly high, hence the Blue Orb II. I have two 75GB Raptors that I plan on running in RAID 0, an Antec 500W PSU, and a PNY 8600GT that will get me by for a few more months. I'm not a huge Asus fan but the P5E-VM looks like the board of choice at this time.

Thermaltake LANBOX Lite VF6000BNS Black SECC Gaming Cube Computer Case - Retail

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX - Retail

Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II CPU Cooler for LGA775 & K8 - Retail
 
It'll work. If you want me to be nitpicky though I'd say dont bother RAIDing the Raptors for performance sake. You'll see little to no increase as far as gaming goes. Considering costs you'd be better off RAIDing two good 7200 drives that provide more storage at less cost. Or getting just one Raptor for the O/S and one big 7200 drive for storage. Thats still cheaper than two Raptors. Thats Just my opinion though.
 
My main concern is the memory I picked and if it will work without any issues. I'm probably gunna upgrade to a large single spindle drive after I get things built.
 
My main concern is the memory I picked and if it will work without any issues. I'm probably gunna upgrade to a large single spindle drive after I get things built.

The Corsair PC6400C4 modules are listed on the QVL list but not those C5. Probably wouldnt be a problem but if it worries you just get a 4Gb kit of the C4 instead. They are good sticks.
 
ASUS lists the regular PC6400C4 models. The ones you are wanting are the DHK variety. Now the only difference that I can see between the two are the heatsink fins atop the DHK modules. The regular C4 dont have the fancy fins. I would guess they would work fine.
 
I surely appreciate all the input. I've changed my mind on my build because I'm not going to pay $250 for a freakin' CPU right now. I've decided to go with a E2180 and overclock for the next few months. At $80, it's a third of the price as the Xeon E3110, E8400, or Q6600. I can upgrade to the latest, greatest Quad core in 6 months or something. I've also picked ram with 4-4-4-12 timing. Am I on the right path?

Here's my revised list of goodies:

Thermaltake LANBOX Lite VF6000BNS Black SECC Gaming Cube Computer Case - Retail

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI LGA 775 Intel G35 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E2180 - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX - Retail

Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II CPU Cooler for LGA775 & K8 - Retail

My biggest concern now is the Blue Orb II on the Asus board. I've search for a bit and I don't think I'll have a problem. I'd like to buy tomorrow...
 
I dont think the hsf will be a problem but I'd have to double check on that to be sure. As far as ram goes you are on the right track IMO. Do be aware however since this is a SFF rig (small case) that you probably wont get as high of a OC on that 2180 as the guys using a ATX (big case) case. Your cooling is more limited thus affecting your OC potential. Check the P5E-VM HDMI thread to see what the users there are getting with their 2180s. I think there was a couple using that cpu and mobo.
 
Went with the above list of goodies. Thanks for the input. I'll pick up a quad core in a few months.
 
Glad I could help. Please share pics when you get it up and running. :)
 
Got things together. I also picked up a 9600GT. The E2180 OC'ed to 3.0Ghz with only bumping the FSB to 300. It runs TF2 @ 1920x1200 without any hickups. 25c @ idle, 40c in TF2, 59c in Prime95. I'm liking it. This was one of the easiest overclocks I've ever done since the old Celeron 300A.

I'll post pictures soon!
 
I'm glad to hear the build went well. Looking forward to the pics. :)
 
Back
Top