e8400 Overclocking no Fun!

supastar1568

Limp Gawd
Hey folks,

Just built a new rig with an e8400. For the life of me, I cannot get this to run Prime95 at stock voltages at 3.6 Ghz. Maybe the newer batch is the problem.

Batch#: Q814A467, Pack Date: 05/15/08

Prime95 does not even last 5 seconds before it reports an error. I also tried upping the voltage in BIOS to 1.2625. That crashed after 23 minutes. It has been running for about an hour now at 1.275 Volts.

FSB 400, 9x multiplier. G. Skill 8500 Ram.

My load core temps right now are 53C and 54C using realtemp (they seem within reason, ambient is about 85F)

Any other tweaks I can work with???

Whats your VID? Because my 8400 has a very low vid and I can't do 3.6GHZ on stock vcore.

I have a 1.1125V VID E8400 bought January.
It will barely do 3.6GHz at stock voltage, not stable enough for me.
I have it running at 1.4V, 4.13GHz 24/7 rock stable.

Mine is nowhere near the best so you should be able to get similar or better.

I don't get what the issue is? You noted that as you increase your vcore, your stability gets better so it looks like you've found the problem. You really only have two options, increase vcore until it's stable, or lower your OC.

Your Ambient temp is reported as 30C, is this inside the PC or the temp in your room?
If its the room temp, this will limit your overclock so you can expect lower clocks for the same voltage.
Also if its room temp, your load temps are excellent.

yes the 85F is my ambient room temp. It's a steamy one here today, and I have no AC. It was suppose to rain, so I had to close the windows in my room, rain never came, just very steamy in the room.

Back