• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8400 overclock advice

yfel

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 2, 2008
Messages
130
I've been putting some ideas together for a new system build and I want to give the e8400 as much overclocking potential (with only air cooling) as possible. Reccomendations from general hardware thread were:

MB: GA-EP43-DS3L http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128347

HSF: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle with Retention Bracket http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145

Case will be a well ventilated antec, gpu an hd 4870, would I be able to pull a stable 3.6 out of this before I pull the trigger?

Original thread for reference: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1331698

Thanks for any helps
 
Would you be able to pull a stable 3.6GHz? Chances are you'd be able to do quite a bit better than that. I wouldn't be surprised if you hit ~4GHz stable with that setup, or even higher. The E8400 is a beast of an overclocker.
 
I'm kind of going into it thinking that 4ghz would be a bonus if I were able to get it that far, but I'd definitely like to be able to go at least 3.6. I'll probably run it stock for a while to break it in anyway. I just wanted to make sure all the parts will work together for the ocing.
 
I have a 750I ftw, e3110 (e8400) and PC800MHZ patriot extreme memory ... and I can't get a stable OC over 3.6, even with unsynced mem
 
The reviews of this gigabyte mb on newegg are making me uneasy as far as ocing goes. I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject of overclocking, the last pc I oc'd was a celeron 366 to 550.. but if I have to spend a few more bucks to get that stability I want then I'm game.

"Good enough board for a budget build or for someone who is only interested in a mild overclock. If firewire support or getting over 400FSB is really important to you I'd look elsewhere."

"not for heavy OC.this is the light version so do not look for miracles..10% OC ok..beyond that it wont ..(tried many times trust me )"

"No firewire. The north bridge runs a bit hot to the touch but not like it burning. No COM, but hardly anyone uses that. They have a COM slot but you need to buy that accessory in order to work. The front audio port connection is in the middle of the board which leaves a wire running across the board. I like Asus placement of the front audio on the bottom for better cable management. However ASUS P43/P45 boards got a premium price on it. This board is a bargain and a better bang for the buck for my current need. If you do heavy OC look elsewhere. This board is for novice Over clockers that just need the bare essentials just to get by."
 
The limit to how fast you can go will depend on the chips quality and how high volts you are prepared to use (and how good your cooling is).
At stock voltage you should be able to get around 3.6GHz.
If you can get more than that then your chip is looking good.
The "recommended safe" max voltage is around 1.36V.

Pushing 1.45V you can cause irreparable damage to the transistor gates but this can be mitigated with very good cooling. It will cause excess wear though but the amount may not matter.
Read up a TON before going to such high voltage or beyond.

I am using 1.4V at 4.13GHz. This is not an endorsement of using 1.4V, I dont recommend it unless you are savvy.
You shouldnt struggle to achieve the same and are likely to get this speed with a lower voltage anyway.
 
If my memory is unsynced and I leave it at 800mhz, besides the cpu voltage, what other voltages will I have to increase?
 
Back
Top