• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8400 OC voltage to low ?

dudg

n00b
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
17
So I am new to this OC thing. I have a P5Q-Pro E8400 with a Tower 120 cooling. Running 400 fsb X 9 with a voltage of 1.15. I run Prime 95 for 20 hours then it errors. I first tried intel burn last night and it fails instantly. I set everything back to default which is auto everything and still failed intel burn test. Is some thing else wrong? Maybe memory? I do belive I need more voltage for my OC. One other question when people are claiming they are OC and stable what is determining that Prime 95 or Intel Burn?
 
What people claim is stable is a different ballgame. Generally though a lot of [H] guys will torture test their OC. In your case I'd be surprised for an e8400 do 3.6Ghz on just 1.15v. I got an E7200 which requires 1.35v for 3.6Ghz. You will need more voltage. As for why you failed the burn test when you set it all back, that is strange unless not everything was at default
 
YMMMMMMMMVVVVVV for every and any O/C. If it fails then volts are too low or settings such as ram divider is "incorrect".
 
LOL'd well.... I'm at 1.41v on my E8400 @ 4.11Ghz on air with temps of IDLE: 42C Load: 62C
 
Your voltage looks way to low (Most E8400's can only hit 3.6ghz on stock or higher voltage). I used to run mine(got it used :/) @ 3.6ghz with about 1.247V (3 or 4 levels above stock), but currently I run stock speed with 1.2V in bios (1.168V idle in windows) for the heck of it. When procs are this fast, any OC'ing is "for the heck of it", lol. :D
 
Every Chip is different. But my guess is the voltage is slightly to low.

Mine will run Linpack stable 25 passes at 1.24V 400x9 3.6Ghz.

Some can get by with less and others need more.

What you could do is under clock the RAM, Then run Linpack 10 passes. If it fails .. give a bump to Vcore and try again.

Once you know CPU is stable then work with the Ram. Hope this helps.

Everyone will have a differnt idea of what "stable" is.
IMO, if you can pass linpack for 20 passes or so ... in a max stress/RAM test ..
You will be fine.
 
I'd check the RAM divider first. An e8400 should not take that much voltage for such a small OC.
 
So I am new to this OC thing. I have a P5Q-Pro E8400 with a Tower 120 cooling. Running 400 fsb X 9 with a voltage of 1.15. I run Prime 95 for 20 hours then it errors. I first tried intel burn last night and it fails instantly. I set everything back to default which is auto everything and still failed intel burn test. Is some thing else wrong? Maybe memory? I do belive I need more voltage for my OC. One other question when people are claiming they are OC and stable what is determining that Prime 95 or Intel Burn?

Why not try a higher voltage??
 
So I am new to this OC thing. I have a P5Q-Pro E8400 with a Tower 120 cooling. Running 400 fsb X 9 with a voltage of 1.15. I run Prime 95 for 20 hours then it errors. I first tried intel burn last night and it fails instantly. I set everything back to default which is auto everything and still failed intel burn test. Is some thing else wrong? Maybe memory? I do belive I need more voltage for my OC. One other question when people are claiming they are OC and stable what is determining that Prime 95 or Intel Burn?

Well, 1.15 is too low for even 3.0GHz the vanilla speed. The CPU is rated for 1.225v-1.25v. Set it to 1.25v and you should be fine.
 
Back
Top