• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8400 OC input

Heligrin

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 4, 2005
Messages
319
So im getting to the point where i dotn know whether or not its worth it to keep ocing.

I have my E8400 Oced to 3.8GHz on my eVGA 780i

Specs:
VCC: 1.326 idle, 1.304 load
FSB: 423
VTT: 1.3
SPP: 1.450
Ram: 507.7
Temps: 37/38 Idle ~52/51 load

Now i dont know if it is worth it to run my E8400 with those volts? Are they too high? The Vdroop is killin me. What should i consider my voltage my load or idle? My temps are out of control, they really havent gone up at all with my OC. Im just wondering if my OC seems to have required too much juice. From 3.6-3.8 i need 2x the juice than 3.0-3.6.

Can i get everyones opinion?

Thanks :)
 
What HSF do you have? I'm @ 3.6ghz with my E8400 with 1.2vcore, temps are about 26-34c idle, 44c load.
 
I'm running a E8400 @ 3.6 GHz as well. Going from 3->3.6 seemed to give a decent boost, but I didn't really feel the need to go higher. I'm getting temps similar to yours and that was about as much heat as I was comfortable with (especially in the summer). I've got the VCore at 1.32 I think. Seems OK to me (Prime95 TT 16+ hours). It looks like you'd probably be safe, but I guess it just depends how far you want to take it.
 
I've been running @ 3.8 24/7 for a few months now with no problems. My settings: Vcore 1.32 (same as yours), MCH 1.33; DDR2 1.9v. My temps are the same as yours, which is normal for this chip.

To go to 4.0 ghz, I have to bump the Vcore up to 1.38 and the MCH up to 1.37. Although the temps don't go much higher, I couldn't see a performance boost. I find that running @ 3.8 is best for everday practical uses.
 
Specs:
VCC: 1.326 idle, 1.304 load
FSB: 423
VTT: 1.3
SPP: 1.450
Ram: 507.7
Temps: 37/38 Idle ~52/51 load

Now i dont know if it is worth it to run my E8400 with those volts? Are they too high? The Vdroop is killin me. What should i consider my voltage my load or idle? My temps are out of control, they really havent gone up at all with my OC. Im just wondering if my OC seems to have required too much juice. From 3.6-3.8 i need 2x the juice than 3.0-3.6.

Can i get everyones opinion?

Thanks :)

Is there a reason you raised VTT? It should not be necessary for your OC (mine is still at stock).
 
@mighty diomed - Xigmatek s1283 (or whatever it is)

@mav451- there was this strech of time where i couldnt boot into windows. I havent started actually backing down on my voltages to see where im stable. I might not even need it but i havent checked yet.
 
Your voltages are actually fine; dangerous levels for 45nm C2s start at around 1.38v. As long as you don't exceed that, you've got nothing to worry about.
 
So after running prime for 12 hours one of my cores failed, however the other core ran for 19 hours. Now im in a predictiment... should i raise the VCore some more to 1.336 or should i jsut downclock? I really want to run stable at 3.8Ghz but my bum core 0 is preventing that.

Also what does it mean when a core is 1-2 iterations behind the other? My core 0 is always 1-2 behind core 1
 
If one core stops, how long the other runs is irrelevant as it is no longer being temperature stressed.
Put your VCore to 1.36V, that is very safe.
Now clock it as far as it will go and enjoy the speed you get, ensuring you get nowhere near TjMax.
I stay 25C + below TjMax.

If you want to push further, you can with minimal risk but you should read up on it first.
Be sure that you have a good PSU with plenty of headroom to keep electrical noise to a minimum.
I am running 4.13GHz at 1.4V maxing at 67C (Realtemp), 24/7 for about half a year now.
The chip is very stable.
With the Antec 900 case I fitted today, load temp has dropped to 62C.

ps it doesnt matter if the CPU's dont track the number of iterations identically.
Windows uses the CPU's to run itself and doesnt do exact 50%/50% load balancing.
 
Nenu i have a PCPC 750W PSU. How do you like the antec 900 case? I bought it on sat, waiting ups to deliver it. It make a noticable difference with airlow/temps. Without my panel on temps like 5C load and idle
 
Heligrin, I like the case a lot, it looks nice in use and does an excellent job of cooling.
Its not quite silent but it is very quiet when set to slowest fan speeds.
Thats all you need, slow is easily good enough unless going for a record.

Its not as straight forward to build as a normal case, mainly because it is a normal size case packing in a lot of cooling.
Note: Antec found a fault with some 120mm fans not running at slowest speed so have shipped 3 extra speed adjustable 120mm LED fans in each case if that batch is affected.
One of my fans had the fault so this is superb service!
The design is good and allows a lot of flexibility for air speed.

Each front fan comes attached to 3 drive bays as a single unit, there are 2 of these and are interchangable.
The fan can be cleaned by unclipping it once the bay is removed.
The drive cables can easily be given enough slack so as not to have to unplug them.
Not a bad solution as most front fans are hard to access.

Another 120mm fan can be fitted to the case side if you dont have an Accelero S1.
The case side didnt fit with the S1 in the case due to the fan mounting brackets.
I had a choice to break them off or remove the whole plastic mount.
I removed the plastic mount but had to secure the outside metal grill with a glue gun as the screws no longer match the depth required to hold it secure.

I had to turn my TRUE 120 CPU cooler round 90 degrees to fit it in the case.
this is good though as the 200mm top fan now draws air directly from it.
I got a 5C drop in load temps moving to this case.

There are built in cable tie points to keep things tidy.

There is a 3.5" drive adapter and front panel for a floppy drive.

Its a really nice case, highly recommended if you can cope with the few teething problems I had.
Did I mention, the cooling is awesome :D
 
Haha thanks Nenu, you're the man :)

Also, i raied my voltages and under load for ~4 hours my temps will max at 60C. I assume that ill never reach that load when i game or do anything else, however, it is still a little disconcerting.
 
Haha thanks Nenu, you're the man :)

Also, i raied my voltages and under load for ~4 hours my temps will max at 60C. I assume that ill never reach that load when i game or do anything else, however, it is still a little disconcerting.

60C is fine.
I was running mine at 67C for 6 months with no issue.
With the new case its at 62C.

You can run the CPU up to its throttling temp (95C Realtemp for E8400) but the CPU will wear faster and there is usually very little advantage in pushing the CPU hard enough to reach that temp.
 
Is 3.8GHz that important? i feel as though im putting too much voltage to get stable and 3.8Ghz. 1.52V idle 1.320 load. I mean are these voltages fine and safe for extended use? Or should i just back down to 3.7 and lower my voltages and temps? Is there a big performance difference between 3.7 and 3.8? I think its more of an ego think to want 3.8. Ill see if this passes Prime 95 3.8.. If it doesn't ill prolly back down to 3.7
 
Is 3.8GHz that important? i feel as though im putting too much voltage to get stable and 3.8Ghz. 1.52V idle 1.320 load. I mean are these voltages fine and safe for extended use? Or should i just back down to 3.7 and lower my voltages and temps? Is there a big performance difference between 3.7 and 3.8? I think its more of an ego think to want 3.8. Ill see if this passes Prime 95 3.8.. If it doesn't ill prolly back down to 3.7

I assume that's 1.32? If so, that's a very safe voltage.
 
you are fine. don't worry about that vdroop, it's not that bad.

i've ran my e8400 to up to 1.43 for testing purposes without any detrimental effects. i'm currently running at 1.37v 24/7 and have no issues at all. the only problem i had was my corsair ddr2 800 ram that didn't like being pushed a little. once i had that problem resolved with some awesome super talent ram, my system has been rock solid.
 
Do I just have a really good E8400 or what? I'm running mine at 4 GHz (500x8, RAM 1:1) on a P5E Deluxe with vcore in the bios set to 1.3v, LLC disabled; reporting 1.26v in HW Monitor & CPUZ. Rock stable (tested 8 hours with Orthos) and no crashes or anything so far.
 
Well I've seen a few of those now, mrcape @ XS being one of the first, back in February when the e8400's were just coming out. 4Ghz @ 1.3 or lower is not as common as I would like though.
 
Do I just have a really good E8400 or what? I'm running mine at 4 GHz (500x8, RAM 1:1) on a P5E Deluxe with vcore in the bios set to 1.3v, LLC disabled; reporting 1.26v in HW Monitor & CPUZ. Rock stable (tested 8 hours with Orthos) and no crashes or anything so far.

yeah you got one of those golden chips. take good care of it. :)
 
Back
Top