E8400: High Temp???

mis3

Gawd
Just set up a computer with P5K-E, E8400 (OEM), Freezer Pro-7....

Installed CoreTemp 0.97.1, the temp is 49-45C. Why so high? I feel around the heat sink and the surrounding area, it is not even warm to the touch.

Sorry, this is idle temps.

I just read from another user forum that many monitoring applications have the wrong TJmax so it shows about 10C higher. Maybe Core Temp is one of these programs.

Sorry, this is idle temps.

I just read from another user forum that many monitoring applications have the wrong TJmax so it shows about 10C higher. Maybe Core Temp is one of these programs.

i avoided the temp monitoring issues with that program like the plague. i personally use HW monitor or everest/pc wizard

hwmonitor and pcwizard available at http://www.cpuid.com

Uhhh, well, under 50 degrees doesn't seem particularly high to me. Well within the chip's operational range.

It also could very well be where the motherboard wants it. I don't have that particular board, but on my board, 50 degrees is the magic temperature. Basically the fan control is such that if the chip is under 50 degrees, it figures the fan is working too hard and slows it down. If it is over 50 degrees it figures more cooling is needed and speeds it up. So the CPU always stays right around that temperature, the fan speed just varies with load.

Uhhh, well, under 50 degrees doesn't seem particularly high to me. Well within the chip's operational range.

It also could very well be where the motherboard wants it. I don't have that particular board, but on my board, 50 degrees is the magic temperature. Basically the fan control is such that if the chip is under 50 degrees, it figures the fan is working too hard and slows it down. If it is over 50 degrees it figures more cooling is needed and speeds it up. So the CPU always stays right around that temperature, the fan speed just varies with load.

while 50 is within the operational range, it is much higher than it should be. my q6600 idles at around 38-40, and a wolfdale should idle lower than that.

to the OP, you might want to reseat your HSF and reapply thermal paste. use AS5. are you using stock HSF or aftermarket? are you OC'ed?

while 50 is within the operational range, it is much higher than it should be. my q6600 idles at around 38-40, and a wolfdale should idle lower than that.

to the OP, you might want to reseat your HSF and reapply thermal paste. use AS5. are you using stock HSF or aftermarket? are you OC'ed?

Better yet, use MX-2.

Actually I am not convinced that CoreTemp is reporting the accurate temps to this CPU.

These are all near idle temp but both PC has been on for 8 hours.

I have another PC: P5E-WS, [email protected], Zalmans 9700NT.
CoreTemp: 35,36,35,35
PC Probe: CPU=27, MB=38

The E8400 with P5K-E is new (Freezer Pro 7) , no OC.
CoreTemp: 49,45
PC Probe: CPU=21, MB=34

In the new PC, I did not change any CPU settings, only enabled Q-Fan. I will lower the CPU voltage a bit later.

C2D temps are only guaranteed calibrated at the termperature the CPU will throttle.
The temps below that are not guaranteed correct at all and are often very wrong.

Look for posts from UncleWeb, he has written his own temp reader which is more accurate and can be made to compensate for some of the differences.

I guess if PC Probe reports that the CPU (outside) temp is 21C. The CPU temp is OK.

If my Q6600 PC, the core temp as reported by CoreTemp are usually 10C higher than the CPU temp from PC Probe....

Coretemp does correctly show how many degrees C you have until throttling will start if you configure it to show the Delta.
If you stay a good 20C below the throttling temp, you shouldnt have any trouble.

UncleWeb also found that Intels E8xxx series chips report temps as 10C too high but also report the throttling temp as 10C too high, so they are both correct in relation to each other but the actual temp is approx 10C too high.

I just OC the E8400 to 3.3 GHz.

Running Prime95 for an hour, PC Probe reports these numbers:
Vcore: 1.13V
CPU temp: 40-44C
MB temp: 37-38C
CPU fan: 1,268-1,520 RPM (Freezer Pro 7)

I ran Prime95 in the PC with [email protected] for 50 minutes:
Vcore: 1.16-1.17V
CPU temp: 38-42C
MB temp: 38-39C
CPU fan: 1,750-2,000 RPM (Zalmans 9700NT)

I am now quite sure that the temp of my E8400 is OK. Also, the CPU voltage is low enough that I should not lower it any further.

Yeah those temps are fine, pretty low but its hard to know how realistic they are.
Best to use Coretemp and subtract 10C, its the closest thing we have to draw comparisons with.

If it runs stable with a lower voltage theres no reason not to lower it unless you want to clock higher.
No damage will be caused.

I did run CoreTemp and the idle temps were 49,45C.

The vcore looks low already, at least as compared to my Q6600. Not sure what I should set it to. I checked the net and I did not see too much OC results on this new CPU.

I am building this PC for a friend and will be picked up tomorrow. I don't really have time to do trial-and-error.

just got got my 8400 monday ,oem from new egg on a Gigbye ds3l right now its runnin at 39 and 38 same HSF FP7 @38.0 @1.31 not one crash .gonna try 4.0 soon. fun.

just got got my 8400 monday ,oem from new egg on a Gigbye ds3l right now its runnin at 39 and 38 same HSF @38.0 @1.31 not one crash .gonna try 4.0 soon.what fun.

What did you mean by @38.0 @1.31? Do you mean 3.8 GHz and 1.31V?

What CPU voltage did you set in the BIOS? Or what voltage do you suggest I set, I only want to OC to 3.3GHz.

yes 3.8 @1.31 V.Buddy you will do 3.3 easy start at 1.25 @3.6 and use hw monitor to see what your voltages are`from what ive read just dont go any higher than 1.41 V .Make sure rams at 2.1 .Very fast chip .Overclock it!

My friend is quite adamant that I should OC moderately in this PC.

When I loaded the new system with Prime95 before, the CPU voltage went down to 1.13V. This is quite low already, especially compared to my Q6600 system (BIOS: 1.225V, Idle: 1.192V, Load: 1.17V)

Let's say OC to 3.3 GHz, what voltage would you set it to? If possible, I hope to lower the temp by giving less voltage to the CPU.

According the CoreTemp, my idle temps are 49,45C . I have been doing some readings from the forums, CoreTemp does not report the proper temps because of the wrong TjMax value.

Based on PC Probe reported temps and my other PC (Q6600), my new PC with the E8400 is probably OK.

According the CoreTemp, my idle temps are 49,45C . I have been doing some readings from the forums, CoreTemp does not report the proper temps because of the wrong TjMax value.

Based on PC Probe reported temps and my other PC (Q6600), my new PC with the E8400 is probably OK.

Your CPU temperature is probably 39/35C (if you were to use Real Temp). And that's a hell of lot better than my temps, although I'm at 3.6GHz.

Which program would give me accurate temp readings for my E8400?

CoreTemp works perfect for my Q6600. The temp reading in the system tray is great so I can look at it from time-to-time.

Speedfan reports the same CPU temp as PC Probe 2, although this is only the surface temp.

Which program would give me accurate temp readings for my E8400?

CoreTemp works perfect for my Q6600. The temp reading in the system tray is great so I can look at it from time-to-time.

Speedfan reports the same CPU temp as PC Probe 2, although this is only the surface temp.

I still highly recommend HW Monitor from www.cpuid.com

Yeah.. i had the same temp problem. I switched to Real Temp and my temps dropped 10c.

I just built a new E8400 comp stock no OC with a Asus P5E-VM HDMI mobo, I'm seeing strange readings on idle seen on screenshot below, This 43C a normal temp for a e8400 at idle? At load it tops off at 56C using Prime95.

temps-1.gif

Back