• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8400 Heat Issues?

Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
3
I have an Intel E8400 and an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7. This is not overclocked, it is completely stock. I was running the stock Intel HSF first and I was getting the following temperatures:

Using CoreTemp with stock Intel HSF:
Idle (core#0/core#1): 55°C/55°C
Max: 76°C/76°C

Obviously, these temps were way too hot, so I bought the Freezer Pro 7 and some Artic Silver 5. I put them on and am now getting the following temps:

Using CoreTemp with Freezer Pro 7:
Idle (core#0/core#1): 53°C/53°C
Max: 67°C/67°C

I'd like to point out that the Artic silver still has not reached the 200 hour mark. The temperatures obviously improved; however, not to what I was expecting.


I found and decided to run RealTemp:

Using RealTemp with Freezer Pro 7:
Idle (core#0/core#1): 39°C/39°C
Max: 59°C/59°C

-My first question is this: is RealTemp or CoreTemp correct? There's a huge difference.
-Regardless, both results seem to show that the CPU is still running too hot. What can I do about this? I was planning to OC, but not if the stock temps are this high.
-The ambient temperature in my room is 30°C
-I maxed the temps using the Prime95 "Blend" torture test.
-I ran HL2 maxed and it only jumps to 49°C

Any help would be appreciated.
 
It generally depends on your case temp and airflow. 60C does seem high for stock, make sure those push pins are properly secured.
 
Airflow doesn't seem to be a problem, It's 30°C in the case. I'll recheck to make sure it's pinned down correctly.
 
Realtemp is effectively a revised Coretemp with extras made by a guy called UncleWeb.
He noticed that the 45nM chips were not registering temps correctly so wrote Realtemp, calibrating the temps with a heatgun.
You will find that all temps are 10C lower (it seems the standard method of reading the sensor produces a +10C discrepancy) and that idle temps can get stuck.

Intel have calibrated the chips to throttle at the correct temperature but did not calibrate idle temps so idle temps can be way off.
This isnt just a Realtemp issue but the motherboard utils do tend to read lower temps better.
Load temps get closer to the correct temp the higher they get, being around 3 to 5C too high at 60C.
Due to this, Uncleweb built user calibration into Realtemp to closer match your CPUs temp sensor.

Your temps are fine.
 
Back
Top