• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8400 Core Damaged?

tenub

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 20, 2008
Messages
355
I've had my E8400 (C0 revision, 6 stepping) for about 2.5 years and it's seen different overclocks. However, I never went above 1.4 Vcore and watched my temperatures like a good boy. I must have been stuck with a bad chip because 3.8Ghz was as high as I could stably go within a safe voltage. For the past year or so I've been running 3.6Ghz (450x8) since I have some nice DDR2 1000 RAM. I always thought my temperatures were somewhat high (42-44C idle, 60-70C load) for such an overclock but everything ran fine. Now come to the present I bumped all my voltages down to near-stock settings and booted to 3.2Ghz (400x8) yet my idle temperature is exactly the same as when using a much higher voltage and overclock (well, maybe 1C cooler). In addition my 2nd Prime95 worker fails after several seconds. Is my second core damaged or did I just get unlucky with my E8400 and it needs a lot of juice just to run normally? Using a DFI LanParty DK P35-T2RS, 4GB (2x2GB) G.Skill DDR2 1000 RAM, and a Zalman CNPS9500 with AS5.

Edit: running 3Ghz (375x8) and DDR2 750 it's stable in P95 and my temperatures climb to about 58C. Guess I just got one of the worst E8400s is all...
 
As for overclocking, C0 E8x00 CPUs tend to overclock worse than E0 counterparts, so maximum overclock of 3.8GHz for C0 is pretty normal. Failure in Prime95 could have been caused by RAM if you had chosen "Blend" mode (which stresses lots of Ram) as a turture test. To make sure it hasn't, run Prime95 "Small-FTTs", which fits data in processor's cache and thus excludes ram from being tested. If you pass Small-FTTs, then try to bump Ram, North Bridge voltage by a notch, loose Ram timings and see whats happens under "Blend" then. Also, keep in mind that aging processors start to require more voltage than they needed as they came out of the box (once again, not necessarily all chips do bahave this way, but some surely do).
 
Back
Top