• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

e8400 at 4ghz vs Quad Core big difference

alphaqforever247

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 6, 2006
Messages
1,682
will getting a quad core boost performance in games by a good chunk combined with my 4870? or is getting a better video card paired with my e8400 be better?
 
Open-world games like Prototype, GTA4, Spiderman Web of Shadows, etc would get a huge boost from a quad-cores I think. I can't even play them with my 3.2GHz Core 2 Duo because the frame rates are so bad (even at 800x600). I believe a quad-core upgrade would be more useful--the 4870 is more than enough power for any game right now except for maybe Crysis.
 
I recently went from a 9800GTX+ on an E8400@4.1ghz to a 5870 on the same processor. Everything seemed OK, but I did notice a bit of stuttering when playing some games. I had a Q6700 laying around, wondering if it would be better to live with the lower clocks but +2 cores. I decided to put it in, OC'd it to 3.6, and found my stuttering was gone. I did also bench higher with the quad in 3DMarkVantage. Took it back down to 3.5 just for the extra stability and temps, but all seems identical to 3.6.

IDK how it is with the 4870 is per se, but just thought you'd like to hear (read) my experience with the switch from dual->quad.

Now I'm wondering if my Q6700@3.6 is a bottleneck for my 5870, if its worth upgrading to i7?
 
will getting a quad core boost performance in games by a good chunk combined with my 4870? or is getting a better video card paired with my e8400 be better?
sort of a catch 22 here. an E8400 at 4.0 is plenty for a 4870 except in 4 or 5 games so a cpu upgrade would be of little overall improvement. however if you throw a card like the 5870 in there then yes a quad and preferably i5/i7 would be much better in those cpu intensive games.
 
will getting a quad core boost performance in games by a good chunk combined with my 4870? or is getting a better video card paired with my e8400 be better?
Get a better video card. It *always* makes a bigger difference than a CPU upgrade (as long as the CPU is adequate)
- there are still only a handful of games that "require" quad-core. :p

Your 4.0GHz e8400 will be fine for 5000 series also.
(except in those few rare quad-optimized games)
 
e8400 4ghz or q9550 at 3.8hz is the trade off i did. i have no regrets and hope for 1-2 more years out of my system.

i only did that upgrade cause it cost me about $90, otherwise I'd of still been happy with my e8400.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
I also had an E8500 oc'd to 3.66GHz and was getting some stuttering in Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and DiRT 2 with my new 5850 which I thought was unusual. Sure enough, I checked and both games were completely maxxing out both cores. I switched to a Q9650 and they both run smooth as silk now.
 
nearly all games being released have some form of Quad core optimization. That quad core will not only serve you better on average as of now, but it will most definitely perform better than that dual core in the near future.
 
My son has a E8500 @ stock and also has a HD4870. I am planning on getting him a Quad core solution. Probably an Q9550 @ 2.8ghz it ain't no slouch when overclocked. I'll keep the E8500 for a skt.775 backup, seeing as it hits 3.9ghz no sweat. So go quad if your staying 775! My son and I are currently cooping in Oper. Flashpoint- Dragon Rising. So he will definitely see a performance boost going quad!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top