• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8400 & Asus P5Q Pro Vcore issues

OutKlast

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
121
I'm doing some light overclocking on the E8400 and Asus P5Q. Got to 3.3ghz on 1 volt stable then I went to bump up the vcore to 1.25v but it only went to 1.088v under idle but jumps to 1.10 under load. At this point I was confused left everything at 3.3ghz, now I tried the 1.375v setting in the BIOS, its comes out at 1.10v under idle, 1.112v under load.

Am I missing a setting? I thought I turned off all the power management stuff so I could work on overclocking. There's a big difference between BIOS setting and what I actually get that only gets bigger the more you try to up the vcore. Also whats really weird is that I get the exact opposite of a 'vdrop' the voltage actually goes up under load.

I'm just using an old crappy PSU for testing but asking 1.2v out of 350w PSU thats only running basically the CPU, 1 fan, a tiny PCI video card DVD rom and HD is not asking much.
 
Now I'm really confused. Set everything back to stock including setting the vcore to 'auto'. Now the vcore is at 1.2v, 1.19/1.18 under load.

Is anyone else experiencing this with a P5Q pro board? I think the BIOS date on it was August 2008.



Edit:

Left vcore at Auto and increased the FSB. It increased the vcore to 1.25v. :confused: Clearly the machine is capable of a higher vcore but for some reason manually inputting it doesn't work but going with auto it scales it up as you OC. I'm genuinely confused at this point.
 
I also have P5Q Pro, but it doesn't act in that way...

try removing the backup mobo battery for ~10 mins and seeing if the problem persists?
 
Back
Top