E8400 and Asus P5B overclock

techtips

Gawd
Hello everybody, I am new to the forum but not new to computers at all.

I would like to give a breakdown of my current system configuration.

-E8400 (Stepping E0 shown in Core Temp)
-6gb (4 sticks) ddr2 800mhz (kingston kvr800d2n5k2/4g)
-Asus P5B Motherboard
-Noctua NH-D14 HSF
-Nvidia Geforce 9800GT
-Cooler Master HAF 932
-Antec 850W PSU

My current temps on idle are about 28/29 celcius and within BF3 they hit about 39 degree celcius @ 3.0ghz

Now, what I have tried? Well I've been reading forum posts/threads/guides on overclocking and I think I am on the right track but I'm a bit lost and if anybody can point me in the right direction it would be greatly apprectiated :)

The CPU is currently at 3.8ghz, windows works 'OK' but I was having a problem loading into BF3 today. I reset the motherboard back to factory settings and at 3.0ghz I loaded int BF3 no issues.

When I run Prime95 with it overclocked, it does give me an error within the first few min and stops the tests.

Here are what my bios configurations were:

7383f0b1.jpg

1c9a92e6.jpg

017360b6.jpg

One concern I do have is wit hthe DRAM frequency. Since my memory is DDR2 800mhz, when I set my CPU frequency to 423, my DRAM frequency jumps to DDR2-846MHz. So would that mean that my memory is working much harder then it would be at 800mhz??

I am not sure if I should be working on the NB/SB vcore's also.

Any suggestions/help/understanding would be great :)

yep your overclocking your ram. Since your memory voltage is at auto it might put it higher than rated to keep it stable....

It's a good thing u put default vcore 1.3 , usualy when ocing auto puts it way higher than it should go.
i wouldn't touch the soutbridge, maybe change NB vcore if it's not stable.

To get my ram stable I have to run it at nearly 2.1 volts and loosen the timings to 6-6-6-18. I'm also running a much higher FSB OC then you. I'm running my DDR2-800 ram at 950.

so small update here, following the guidence of some forums....I am stable at 3.8ghz.

My CPU Frequency is still 432.
DDR2 is 846mhz.
CPU Vcore is 1.35V
North Bridge Vcore is 1.40V

I didnt change anything else with the bios, and I can run though 30 min of Prime95 without errors so it's a lot more stable then before.

My problem is, I tried to go to 445 CPU frequency (445x9=4005) and I set the CPU Vcore to 1.40...windows loads but MSI Afterburner can't see my graphics card and my windows AERO is disabled.

Would this be a sign my video card isn't getting as much power as it should to perform?

Set PCI-Express to 100 as stated above. Also set your RAM timings to AUTO (unless the current timings were given to you by the manufacturer for those speeds) for DRAM Write Recover Time and below (leave the top 4 to what you have them set to currently).

Finally, the P5B is a 965 chipset mobo, and it perhaps cannot cope with such a high FSB which is why you end up seeing things go out of whack.

Back