e8400 @3.8 & 5870 only pulling 250w at load normal?

PoorBehavior

Limp Gawd
I picked up a Sapphire 5870 in the recent sale to replace my aging 8800gt.
I was confident that my Antec Earthwatts 380 could handle it but figured I would be pushing the cap on the PSU at load or at least be close.
Using a KillAWatt I was surprised to only be drawing about 20 more watts at idle and at load I have not gone over 250 watts, total system power. I am using onboard sound with 4gb of ram and only one HD and DVD drive. I also have a TV Tuner card.

I checked my KillAWatt with a mutlimeter so it seems to be reading correctly, do these numbers seem low? I did not use Furmark, I did use Fallout LV and Halflife 2, both while watching TV through my tuner on my second monitor.

Huge improvement over the 8800gt though, I might put my upgrade off for a while after seeing how much of an improvement the 5870 is over my 8800gt in real life usage.

Without knowing what is actually in your system, it is impossible to judge whether or not the Kill-A-Watt readings seem realistic.

Actually sounds about right. The Radeon 5870 has a very low idle power consumption as you just stated. The load can be pretty high especially with furmark, but I think you'll be fine on a general basis under normal loads.

Back