E8400 3.0 or Q8200 2.33

july007a

n00b
Hi all,

I am new here and need some advice.

Which processor is better for a HTPC?

They are same price on both amazon and newegg. Q8200 doesn't have Intel Vt but I am not sure I need that for my HTPC.

I am using it for mainly ripping and playing back HD content and some minor encoding

Thanks in advance

What's defined as minor, because the quad will definitely deal with the encoding much better. Both have the horsepower to do the ripping, playback, and HTPC stuff.

What about pricing?

E8400 = $167.99 newegg

Q8200= $159 newegg

this is for a HTPC

My main desktop is running Q6600, I can do the encoding there if I need to. I am not sure why E8400 is more expensive then the quad core.

i dont know that much about HTPC's all i know about is gaming 1's >.<

I was looking at newegg and seen a E7600 for $149 with free shipping.

so you could save a little cash. but i mean its your call

If its just an HTPC, go to microcenter and throw in a E5200 for $68. Not worth the extra cash for the processor in an HTPC.

i dont know that much about HTPC's all i know about is gaming 1's >.<

I was looking at newegg and seen a E7600 for $149 with free shipping.

so you could save a little cash. but i mean its your call

thanks. i did looked at the E7600. i heard E8400 can be overclocked to 3.6 with the stock fans. it might worth the extra $17 :)

If its just an HTPC, go to microcenter and throw in a E5200 for $68. Not worth the extra cash for the processor in an HTPC.

that was mu original thought. read on AVS forum that E5200 is at 85% usage for full HD playback. I am not sure that is true or not. i didnt wnat to take chances.

Well, overclocking shouldn't really be a priority on an HTPC. The way I would look at an HTPC is the ability to deliver the power you need to do what you want while minimizing power draw, heat dissipation, and noise level.

Stock E5200, without any software decoders, decoding high bitrate 1080p is 85%?

i heard E8400 can be overclocked to 3.6 with the stock fans. /QUOTE]

That is true. I had mine running @ 3.6 with that tiny stock cooler it comes with for couple of weeks with no problems. Although i don't know how much would that affect CPU's lifespan after long periods of time (months or years). I wasn't comfortable with that given that i had one of them early ones where temperature reading is not accurate.

Well, overclocking shouldn't really be a priority on an HTPC. The way I would look at an HTPC is the ability to deliver the power you need to do what you want while minimizing power draw, heat dissipation, and noise level.

Stock E5200, without any software decoders, decoding high bitrate 1080p is 85%?

both E5200 and E8400 are 65w processors. The Q8200 is a 95w processor though. I don't know if that is a big difference in term of electric bill.

I dont know if the 85% figure is true or not. I read it on avs forum. I didn't want the cpu to be bottle neck in my system. but I couldn't help notice the Q8200 is cheaper and I don't know if I am making a mistake by going with E8400.

Back