• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E8400 100% during games. Normal?

Mopower

Gawd
Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Messages
519
I have an E8400 at 3.6ghz. I haven't really played many games on my PC in the past year or so except Fallout 3. I never noticed the CPU maxing out with it but with Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age the cpu is almost always at 100%. Even at the menu screens. I haven't noticed any negative effects gameplay wise. With Star Trek Online it's usually between 50 and 75%. Is this normal? Specs in sig.
 
I have a similar system as you and my E8400 rarely hits 100%. Only time I ever saw it max at 100% is when using IBT.
 
I just did a fresh install of Win 7 last week too. If it isn't a problem then I'll live with it. I just thought it might be harming the CPU.
 
I just did a fresh install of Win 7 last week too. If it isn't a problem then I'll live with it. I just thought it might be harming the CPU.

Harming the CPU? Uhh, no....thats what these things are designed to do. Only way you'd harm it if you were not cooling the CPU enough, especially if you changed the vcore.
 
most of those games you listed are multi-treaded so maxing it out would be possible. dragon age does take alot of power to run well.

running a cpu at 100% is normal and within specifications and will not lower the life of the chip. that being said overclocking will lower the life of the chip if its not cooled well.
 
Ok good to know. Like I said it doesn' seem to affect performance. I was just curious.
 
Back
Top