Which one is the better value?

• E6500

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • E7500

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
I want people's opinions on the Pentium Dual-Core E6500 versus the Core 2 Duo E7500. Which one is better? Is the E7500 better for gaming? How would they perform with say a 4670? What about a 5770? Do you guys think the E7500 is worth it for an extra $25? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The question is: is the 1MB of extra L2 cache worth $25 to you? If you are planning on overclocking (which I suggest) for added performance, then consider the E6300 for $81 or the E7400 for $92.

The question is: is the 1MB of extra L2 cache worth $25 to you? If you are planning on overclocking (which I suggest) for added performance, then consider the E6300 for $81 or the E7400 for $92.
Wouldn't the bigger cache add a little performance to gaming? I wasn't planning on OCing right away, but maybe down the road.

Wouldn't the bigger cache add a little performance to gaming? I wasn't planning on OCing right away, but maybe down the road.

Probably a minimal gain. I agree with Carlitos that an E8400 would be your best bet and I'm sure you can find a used one for that price.

I have had an E8400 @ 3.6 ghz, and an E7400 @3.6ghz and the 8400 had better FPS in every game I have played. It didn't have a higher peak FPS, but it didn't have the lows like the 7400 did.

i love my E6600. its a good match for my 9800GT. obviously an E7XXX is better than an E6XXX. your gpu and what you want to do with the computer are what determine what you should get. with a 4670 the E6500 should be fine. with a 5770 go for an 8XXXor youll be very limited by your cpu and that nice gpu will go to waste.

How would the E8400 compare to the quad-core q8200?

quad will prolly give you better performance in games that can use 4 core and in multitasking but the e8400 would prolly be better in everything else

I had a Q8200 and they suck. Dont buy it. Trying to sell it is a pain too cuz nobody wants them. If you are gonna buy a quad might as well get the Q6600. I recommend the E8400. I have a e7200 @4.0G Ghz w/ a gtx 280 SC and I love it.

Only direct clock for clock comparison I could find was Core 2 Duo E8300 vs Pentium Dual Core E6300. All game benchmarks were 17-35% gains. I'd get an E7500 and overclock the hell out of it. Multiplier is set at 11.

There is a wildcard with that E6500, which is apparently the multiplier is unlocked. Maybe it can easily hit 4 GHz, maybe not. I don't know.

The Q8200 isn't really worth it for gaming, especially for overclocking. Bad multiplier at 7, also bad potential apparently.

Last edited:
I'd say get the new E3200 OC'ed at 3.6ghz or more.

I wouldn't buy a E7500 or E6500 right now personally. I'd go core i5 750
Doesn't cost that much more

I wouldn't buy a E7500 or E6500 right now personally. I'd go core i5 750
Doesn't cost that much more

The processor by itself costs double that of the E7500, and that's not even factoring in the motherboard and DDR3 RAM. You can't just plug an i5 into his 775 board. Upgrading to i5 would cost him at least $350-$400, well over 300% the cost of the E7500 and almost 400% of the E6500. It does cost that much more.

i love my E6600. its a good match for my 9800GT. obviously an E7XXX is better than an E6XXX. your gpu and what you want to do with the computer are what determine what you should get. with a 4670 the E6500 should be fine. with a 5770 go for an 8XXXor youll be very limited by your cpu and that nice gpu will go to waste.

The e6600 C2D is better than the E7XXX series, it has more cache. The only advantage of the E7XXX series is that they are 45nm.

The old e6XXX C2D series is in between the current E7XXX and E8XXX series.

The processor by itself costs double that of the E7500, and that's not even factoring in the motherboard and DDR3 RAM. You can't just plug an i5 into his 775 board. Upgrading to i5 would cost him at least $350-$400, well over 300% the cost of the E7500 and almost 400% of the E6500. It does cost that much more.

Yeah its a pretty shitty situation, but spending the money on another LGA775 is really kicking the dead horse. Intel is on a hardcore money grab here.

I seem to be in that situation that everyone else is in: Early Core 2 and Geforce 8 series wondering why L4D2 is giving me <5FPS on max settings +2XAA/AF. Being a broke student I cant afford to upgrade to core i5 and putting any more graphical horsepower on a little 3.3Ghz C2D w/ 2MB L2 is slamming that exponentially decreasing return curve really hard.

It really does suck, and that suckage is provided soley by Intel --I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing, this is possibly one of the most successful money grabs intel's made in years (its not like anybody here is considering Phenom II as a serious alternative). But yeah, at this point, suckage all round.

to the OP, if you are in the situation I'm in, and you really cant wait, I'd go for a Q9550 or Q6600 on the FS/T forums or ebay. The used Q9550 resale prices are grossly inflated right now (ahem, all money I might add that Intel isn't making) because they're selling so well, and there's just something so profoundly un-[H] about buying a processor with 2/3rds is L2 locked away (ie Q8000's)...

this suffering doesn't end any time soon. AMDs (possibly running-out-of-R&D-funding) bulldozer --the next would-be serious competitor to intel, is due out only in 2011. Meaning sandy-bridge is just going to happily skim the market, you wont see 32nm core i5 hit anywhere below $150 until, well 2011.

I keep digressing: My point is the upgrade costs sucks now and its going to suck for some time. But I would pause before buying anything new for an LGA775 rig.

The e6600 C2D is better than the E7XXX series, it has more cache. The only advantage of the E7XXX series is that they are 45nm.

The old e6XXX C2D series is in between the current E7XXX and E8XXX series.

according to this and this, they are both 45nm and the E7500 has 3mb L2 cache, more than the E6500's 2mb L2 cache. youre thinking of the E6600, which does in fact have 4mb L2 cache, and is 65 nm. thats what im using and its great. you can pick one up for $70 off the forums, OP. :)

EDIT: ok maybe i missed some of the thread. OP was asking about E6500 in the title. yes E6600 is better. gotta overclock it though, which is pretty easy to do to like 3.2GHz or so.

Yeah its a pretty shitty situation, but spending the money on another LGA775 is really kicking the dead horse. Intel is on a hardcore money grab here.

I seem to be in that situation that everyone else is in: Early Core 2 and Geforce 8 series wondering why L4D2 is giving me <5FPS on max settings +2XAA/AF. Being a broke student I cant afford to upgrade to core i5 and putting any more graphical horsepower on a little 3.3Ghz C2D w/ 2MB L2 is slamming that exponentially decreasing return curve really hard.

It really does suck, and that suckage is provided soley by Intel --I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing, this is possibly one of the most successful money grabs intel's made in years (its not like anybody here is considering Phenom II as a serious alternative). But yeah, at this point, suckage all round.

to the OP, if you are in the situation I'm in, and you really cant wait, I'd go for a Q9550 or Q6600 on the FS/T forums or ebay. The used Q9550 resale prices are grossly inflated right now (ahem, all money I might add that Intel isn't making) because they're selling so well, and there's just something so profoundly un-[H] about buying a processor with 2/3rds is L2 locked away (ie Q8000's)...

this suffering doesn't end any time soon. AMDs (possibly running-out-of-R&D-funding) bulldozer --the next would-be serious competitor to intel, is due out only in 2011. Meaning sandy-bridge is just going to happily skim the market, you wont see 32nm core i5 hit anywhere below $150 until, well 2011.

I keep digressing: My point is the upgrade costs sucks now and its going to suck for some time. But I would pause before buying anything new for an LGA775 rig.

i disagree. just because intel is making a money grab doesnt mean you have to succomb to their will. just buy some used parts. i have an E6600 ($70), P5Q Pro ($80), and 4GB mushkin ($50) running basically anything just fine. if i wanted to i could trade up my cpu for a Q6600 or a Q9550 but i dont. LGA775 is not dead. if you have the money, i5 and i7 are both great platforms, but there are NO games that you cant run just fine with a socket 775 setup.

according to this and this, they are both 45nm and the E7500 has 3mb L2 cache, more than the E6500's 2mb L2 cache. youre thinking of the E6600, which does in fact have 4mb L2 cache, and is 65 nm. thats what im using and its great. you can pick one up for $70 off the forums, OP. :)

EDIT: ok maybe i missed some of the thread. OP was asking about E6500 in the title. yes E6600 is better. gotta overclock it though, which is pretty easy to do to like 3.2GHz or so.

Ya, I was talking about the E6600. You really have to compare clock for clock speed since everyone is so overclock happy with these newer intel chips...clock for clock the E6600 is faster than the E7XXX series, but the E6500 is slower.

I have no idea why intel was stupid enough to reuse the same names over again...the Original C2Ds were E6XXX series for those that did not know...and that was what they ALL were (there were not that many chips out). It just got very complicated in the years since as more and more and more chips came out.

Core 2 Duo used to be simple, now it is a mass cluster of chips :p

i disagree. just because intel is making a money grab doesnt mean you have to succomb to their will. just buy some used parts. i have an E6600 ($70), P5Q Pro ($80), and 4GB mushkin ($50) running basically anything just fine. if i wanted to i could trade up my cpu for a Q6600 or a Q9550 but i dont. LGA775 is not dead. if you have the money, i5 and i7 are both great platforms, but there are NO games that you cant run just fine with a socket 775 setup.

Very true, the Core 2 Duo 775 chips are still plenty for most gaming with a good video card. Frankly they are overkill for most things still.

i5 and i7 are awesome, I almost upgraded to i5, but right now there are other better bang for the buck items that are still very potent.

In most cases you would be better off putting the saved money towards a better GPU for gaming or other things depending on your usage.

Back