• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E7400 with VT - where?

Valnar

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 3, 2001
Messages
4,561
Does anyone know of an online retailer who sells the latest E7400 spec CPU with VT extensions? I understand it's a tray processor only, not boxed. That's okay. I just want to make sure I get one.
 
Why not just get a Wolfdale E6300 and save youself a quarter the cost of an E7400? Besides all E6300's having VT-x, the only other difference is 2MB of L2 cache vs 3MB - not a lot of difference in performance for the money.

SLGU9 E6300 2.8GHz (10.5x multiplier) 45nm, 1066FSB, step R0, 2MB L2 with VTx for $84
SLB9Y E7400 2.8GHz (10.5x multiplier) 45nm, 1066FSB, step R0, 3MB L2 no VTx for $110
SLGQ8 E7400 2.8GHz (10.5x multiplier) 45nm, 1066FSB, step R0, 3MB L2 with VTx for $120
(some Intel pages refer to this last part as SLGW3)
 
Last edited:
Why not just get a Wolfdale E6300 and save youself a quarter the cost of an E7400? Besides all E6300's having VT-x (not VT-d), the only other difference is 2MB of L2 cache vs 3MB - not a lot of difference in performance for the money.

SLGU9 E6300 2.8GHz (10.5x multiplier) 45nm, 1066FSB, step R0, 2MB L2 with VTx for $84
SLB9Y E7400 2.8GHz (10.5x multiplier) 45nm, 1066FSB, step R0, 3MB L2 no VTx for $110
SLGQ8 E7400 2.8GHz (10.5x multiplier) 45nm, 1066FSB, step R0, 3MB L2 with VTx for $120
(some Intel pages refer to this last part as SLGW3)

The difference of $40 is not that big a deal, and if that new E7400 was readily available, it would be no extra effort to click on that web page to buy it than any other. I'd rather go up to the E8400 than down to the E6300, but the price jump is a bit more. Also, the two things that generate heat are cache and cores. The 3Mb makes a big difference in cooling needs vs 6Mb. Yah, I know that speaks better to the E6300 choice, but I'd still rather have the 3Mb.

If these new E7400's don't show up soon though, I may have to make that decision between the E6300 vs E8400, and that's a larger difference.
 
Last edited:
VT = Virtualization Technology allows you to run VMs such with software such as VMware, Hyper V and other such products ...

More commonly, it lets you use Windows Virtual PC to run a WinXP virtual machine under Windows 7 (or Virtual PC 2007 on Vista).
 
I'd rather go up to the E8400 than down to the E6300, but that price jump is a bit more...If these new E7400's don't show up soon though, I may have to make that decision between the E6300 vs E8400, and that's a larger difference.

E6300 and E7400 are both natively 1066FSB (with a 10.5x multiplier) whereas E8400 is 1333FSB (with a 9x multiplier).

It might not make sense to put a 1066FSB proc in a 1333FSB motherboard though it's possible of course. On the other hand, I just recently tried a C0 stepping E8200 in my older P965 mobo (1066FSB) and didn't care for the results at all either standard (1333MHz), underclocked (1066MHz) or overclocked (1600MHz). I was thrilled just to get my money back. The E6300 has been a far, far better CPU for me than the E8200 was.

For me the choice between E6300 vs E8400/8500 would be easy - just depends on what FSB your mobo runs at.
 
Yah, the mobo is a P45 so it'll handle any of those CPU's, but it's "only" a wife PC. :p OTOH, when I re-brand it to a different family member in a couple years ago, I at least want it decent.

I do put in slow fans though. I like things quiet. There is a small difference in heat between a CPU with 3Mb cache vs 6Mb, and a huge difference going up to a quad core.
 
Back
Top