e7300 overclock, high temps, suggestions?

titan97

Gawd
I have an e7300 on an ASUS P5Q Pro board. I'm trying to overclock it. If I run up the vCore to 1.45V, I can get it to run at 3.2GHz, but the temperature (via CoreTemp) of the cores get up to >80C when I run the Intel Burn Test. My cooler is a Zalman CNPS9500A-LED with Artic Silver paste. During folding, the temps max out at the mid 60's. If I reduce the voltage, the Burn Test fails.

Should I get a different HSF? What is the max vCore I should run? What is the max temp I should run?

I should also say that I'm about to place an order with NewEgg in a moment, so if I need a better HSF, now's the time, right? ;-)

Thanks

Cant go wrong with Hyper 212. Had my i3-540 @ 4.4GHz with this cooler, passing all "burn in" tests with ease... Great value, and it's S1155 compatible too, for your future upgrades...

After doing some more looking around, temps in the 80's with IBT is about right. It might be a bit on the high side, but not too bad. I was able to push this CPU to 3.45GHz at 1.45vCore, 819MHz RAM ([email protected]), with the NB at 1.2V, and SB @ 1.1V. With this setup, I ran 50 cycles of Standard IBT with no errors. Even if I drop the multiplier, the CPU would not post nor would Windows finish booting up. The next availble speed for the RAM was in the 840's, and it would not boot up, even at 5-5-5-15.

Back