• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E6750 --> QX9650 ?

almalino

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
1,591
I bought BFBC2 and found out that I need to overclock E6750 to 3.2MGz to have decent framerates even on Radeon 5870.

My PC now (3 years old except video upgrade 2 weeks ago):
Gigabyte P35-DS4
Core2DUO E6750
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800 5-5-5-18
Radeon 5870

I do not want to invest a lot of money but I want to keep this PC as long as possible (3 more years at least) and having decent framerates in modern games with resolution 1900x1200 and all settings on HIGH.

Based on BFBC2 performance it seems my CPU must be upgraded.
So, any opinions on the subject?

Will it be future proof upgrade?
If I pay ~200 Euro for QX9650 - is it a good price?
 
i think so. you can by a new retail q9650 (no adjustable multi) for around $320 usd, or a q9550 for as low as $180, but usually around $220 and up. make sure that your p35 board can run (and overclock) a 45nm quad. there are no future proof upgrades. only if you dont play any newer or more horsepower demanding games than you do now, will it be future proof. are you sure about your info? isnt a e6750 around 2800mhz or so? i cant see having a game unplayable at 2800mhz, but fine at 3200mhz.
 
i think so. you can by a new retail q9650 (no adjustable multi) for around $320 usd, or a q9550 for as low as $180, but usually around $220 and up. make sure that your p35 board can run (and overclock) a 45nm quad. there are no future proof upgrades. only if you dont play any newer or more horsepower demanding games than you do now, will it be future proof. are you sure about your info? isnt a e6750 around 2800mhz or so? i cant see having a game unplayable at 2800mhz, but fine at 3200mhz.

vanilla_guerilla, thank you for reply!

If I buy QX9650 I will buy used one for about 200 Euros that is about 260 USD.

Regarding my current processor: E6750 2.6 MGz. It plays BFBC2 ok but with considerable lag in controls. When I overclocked it to 3.2 lag dissapeared altogether and gameplay improved significantly. actually, before overcloking I didn't really like the game, after overclock I changed my ipinion completelly - game is perfect :)

TRegaridng future proff. My E6750 lasted 3 years and 3 years ago it was futureproof :) Now I hope qx9650 will last another 3 years.
 
TRegaridng future proff. My E6750 lasted 3 years and 3 years ago it was futureproof :) Now I hope qx9650 will last another 3 years.

That may be a little optimistic, but a qx9650 should sever you well for another year or two. One thing to look out for though, it is a chip that people buy to overclock... and overclock hard. Spending $800+ dollars new for an unlocked multiplier usually means the person is going to overclock like a bandit so make sure that chip works ok.
 
go for the quad i went from a e5200 to a qx6850 and the difference was amazing. I will never go back to dualcores unless its absolutely neccesarry
 
Back
Top