E6700 default voltage??

joshley

Limp Gawd
Hi peeps,

After running nTune to tweak my performance on a E6700 w/ eVGA 680i, I want to do the same with my new Scythe infinity - but first I want to measure temps before and after (@ stock speeds) - so what is the default voltage for the E6700?! I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Cheers!

Well in a sort of update:

nVidia control panel reports CPU voltage of 1.33, and BIOS is set to AUTO.
BIOS CPU temps consitently read 10-15 degrees lower than nVidia or Core Temps 0.94.

BIOS:
44 degrees celcius

Core Temp Beta 0.94:
55 degrees celcius

nVidia:
57 degrees celcius

What is going on here? I thought they all read the same number from the same sensor on the Motherboard...!!?

edit: On a side note, I'm worried as to whether I've overdone the overclocking on stock cooling on my E6700 - what would be the side effects of that? Surely I'd have system instability before anything else, and I've had no crashes..?

What clock are you at ?

BIOS is reading from a motherboard sensor probably right under the middle of the chip. (on board, not chip)

CoreTemp is reading the temperature from a sensor inside the chip. It should be the most accurate.

Not sure where Nvidia is reading from. It might be reading the motherboard sensor and adding some degrees via some formula to estimate the core temperature. OR it might be reading the same thing as Core temp just outputting slightly differently.

I personally like to keep my chips under around 63C (but that was using the old motherboard sensor, so that was probably much higher, if there had been CoreTemp for those old processors) Core2's run much cooler, so most people can keep them under 60C with out much effort even at a very nice overclock.

My e6600 only does 3Ghz unfortunately, but it stays pretty cool too.
conroe.gif

P.S. I assume those are your 100% load temps right? IF those are your idle temps you need better cooling or to back down the overclock.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply - I'm now seriously concerned...

I've just installed my Scythe Infinity, followed all the instructions but Core temp in nVidia is now 67 degrees idle (I'm shutting down in 30 secs and moving onto laptop). I installed the thermal paste correctly, the fan is installed - what could be going wrong??!??!

OK, just turned off and pressed all the connectors down again. Although they all "clicked" before into place, one more clicked this time and my temps are 45 idle. What should I use to stress test my CPU?

44 is better than before, but surely something is wrong; the E6700 and a Scythe at idle should give me results under 30, not mid-40s? What sort of temps should I expect if I take out all case cooling, but keep the side panel off?

Cheers

edit: I just ran Orthos and after 3 mins was @ 75 degrees :( (this is all at stock speeds :( :()

edit 2: I just ran Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT) and got 80 degrees at 100%. To be honest I'm gutted, I've bought a good chip, supposedly an excellent cooler and at stock speeds without any overclocking I get these temps? Anyone have any suggestions? Thing is, I don't think it's the Scythe that's the problem. I was idling at 57 before installing the Scythe, which is already 20 degrees above what idle should be

First off, it sounds like you might not have the heatsink properly mounted.
What I did with my Scythe Infinity to secure proper mounting (b/c I hate the 4 push pins of 775) was I bought the Thermalright LGA775 to s478 adapter.
2 reasons: 1 - gives you a secure backplate, 2 - much more secure connections. Then the infinity has s478 connectors stock.

Second, stop using different temperature software. Stick with CoreTemp b/c thats kind of the common / gold standard. (changing software is confusing to us trying to help) All my temps will be using CoreTemp temps.

With a Scythe Ninja your temps should be in the 40's at idle and max 60's under full load. Thats assuming you have decent airflow in your case. Just to eliminate bad case airflow from the equation, take the side panel off and point a fan at the side.

Did you read the instructions reguarding installation, orientation, etc. of the Ninja?

Do you have the fan pointed in to /across the heatsink, so the hot air is exhausted out the back of the case?

Back