E6600 won't OC any more?

eTiMaGo

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a E6600 on an asus P5W DH, which can run stable at 3.5GHz with a coolermaster Hyper6+ heatsink (noisy at full speed).

Today we upgraded to a good watercooling set (Danger Den TDX, Maze4 for the chipset, hard drive cooler, two 120mm radiators and a D5 pump), temperatures have dropped considerably. Idle temps are down by about 6C, full load by about that much too.

But the problem is, I can't push the chip any faster. 3.6GHz/3.7GHz can boot into windows, but anything intensive (burn-in program, 3dmark...) will just cause it to die. 3.8GHz and windows freezes at the welcome screen.

I do have to run the Vcore at 1.7V to get to this point, RAM is at 2V, and the other voltages (ICH, MCH) are maxed out.

So, does anyone have any pointers or suggestions? Or is this just the limit that this chip can reach? I'm really really wanting to reach 4GHz, spent quite a bit of money on this watercooling equipment and the results are just underwhelming :( a lot quieter though!

Just Corsair XMS DDR800, 2x 1GB sticks. at 3.6GHz it's running at specification speed, so there should not be a reason to overvolt it, right? And even if I bring down theram speed by the multiplier, it does not help.

So whats your problem??

You're at 3.6Ghz and you have a problem with that?

Come on, your system is probably twice as fast as your last system and you're complaining for more!!

Water cooling doesn't help that much over air cooling with Conroe, b/c its just that its architecture simply doesn't hit 5Ghz like a P4. You can try more voltage, but unless you go to a vapochill you might have hit your limit with that chip. Now if you test 10-20 different chips like some people do at Xtremesystems looking for the best one (cherry picked) you might get more.

Thats why I've always just stuck with high end aircooling. You get 90-100% of the clockspeed, albeit you have to tolerate a little bit more noise. My XP-90c cools as well as most water cooling kits.

chrisf6969 said:
So whats your problem??

Come on, your system is probably twice as fast as your last system and you're complaining for more!!

Water cooling doesn't help that much over air cooling with Conroe, b/c its just that its architecture simply doesn't hit 5Ghz like a P4. You can try more voltage, but unless you go to a vapochill you might have hit your limit with that chip. Now if you test 10-20 different chips like some people do at Xtremesystems looking for the best one (cherry picked) you might get more.

Thats why I've always just stuck with high end aircooling. You get 90-100% of the clockspeed, albeit you have to tolerate a little bit more noise. My XP-90c cools as well as most water cooling kits.

Agreed..

eTiMaGo said:
So, does anyone have any pointers or suggestions? Or is this just the limit that this chip can reach? I'm really really wanting to reach 4GHz, spent quite a bit of money on this watercooling equipment and the results are just underwhelming :( a lot quieter though!
the amount of speed you gain is related to the temp drop. a 6c drop is obviously not gonna allow for much gain in mhz. if you can get it like.. 20c lower, maybe you'll see another boost. 50c lower? a nice boost in speed

my suggestions is to stop ocing before you burn it lol, well the Clock is high i bet you run it at better performance than the X6800.

I agree that your expectations are unrealistic. You hit 3.6 which is the top tier for 6600 chips. You also don't fully understand the purpose of watercooling. It should not be relied upon for super high overclocks, it's more attrative for the silence.

If you want super-OCs then Phase the the way to go, but to me it is prohibitively expensive, especially as a 3.anything C2D is far better than anything else on the market. You got a 1.1 Ghz OC on air on a chip that is already faster than anything else stock for stock on the market. If you need more than that you should be looking into professional level systems (that incidentally cost a lot more than consumer grade stuff) or just be happy with what you have.

If the programs that you use support quad-core and MacOS a Mac Pro would give you more benefit, but again at a higher price. There is no such thing as getting the highest performance in the world at the cheapest price anymore.

check out the conroe 6600 oc database here. except for the top few which are unofficial and probably unstable, the highest stable oc'c are 3600. and most of them are on air. so your chip is maxed out. its possible if you went phase, dice or ln2 you would break 4ghz, but is all that cash and toenail biting worth the 400mhz?

NulloModo said:
<snip> if not if it had been welp out of the Galaxy so

Ok, that is just weird.

But back on topic -- I agree, I would have done more research on what you could expect your chip to OC to. But hindsight is 20/20. I would enjoy your quiet, heavily OC'd system if I was in your place :)

stop copying crap out of james joyce's "ulysses" and posting it. his family will sue your mickey mouse plagiarizing ass. i know its on topic, but still.

turtletrax said:
Man, this forum really should change its name to oftforum.

i dont see any reason that the name of this forum should be changed to the permanent physical condition of your head, and your penis.

I have to agree with turtletrax, I have not been on this forum in quite a while, but I kinda expected a more enthusiastic response :p What happened to pushing the limits, in fact, blasting the limits? <old man>That was being [H]ard in my day!</old man>

But seriously, I do appreciate all your input, I do agree that this is already a very healthy overclock, but it just felt too easy, and I know there's still a little more juice that can be squeezed out of this system.

Anyway, phase change may be something to look into for the future. I do really like this watercooling setup as it keeps pretty much everything cool and quiet, just gotta wait for dangerden to release the 7950 waterblock ;)

I may just try to get a new chip and hope, cross my fingers and sing 15 different incantations to the gods of overclocking that it can be pushed further ;)

only 3.5ghz?! ..throw that piece a crap in the garbage and get another one for crying out loud ..

..oh , and where do you live ...and when does the garbage man come to pick up?

[F]old|[H]ard

ThreeDee said:
only 3.5ghz?! ..throw that piece a crap in the garbage and get another one for crying out loud ..

..oh , and where do you live ...and when does the garbage man come to pick up?

[F]old|[H]ard

Well I'm over here in Bangkok, Thailand, so if the price of the ticket is worth it to you... :D

eTiMaGo said:
I have a E6600 on an asus P5W DH, which can run stable at 3.5GHz with a coolermaster Hyper6+ heatsink (noisy at full speed).

Today we upgraded to a good watercooling set (Danger Den TDX, Maze4 for the chipset, hard drive cooler, two 120mm radiators and a D5 pump), temperatures have dropped considerably. Idle temps are down by about 6C, full load by about that much too.

But the problem is, I can't push the chip any faster. 3.6GHz/3.7GHz can boot into windows, but anything intensive (burn-in program, 3dmark...) will just cause it to die. 3.8GHz and windows freezes at the welcome screen.

I do have to run the Vcore at 1.7V to get to this point, RAM is at 2V, and the other voltages (ICH, MCH) are maxed out.

If you haven't already, try loosening the memory timings to 5-5-5-15 and see what you get out of her.

Daveid said:
waht do you mean ?

He means that the expression "Oh, this computer's more than fast enough", or anything to that effect, should not exist on the [H]ard forum ;)

eTiMaGo said:

According the Intel overclock database most retail E6600 chips can only make it to 3.6.
It seems to me that you are using a lot of voltage for your CPU as well. I have yet to see
anyone use anything above 1.6.

What BIOS version and power supply are you using sir?

chrisf6969 said:
So whats your problem??

I agree completely. I have also stuck with higher end air cooling for primarily this reason and the fact that it is much easier to deal with. Not to mention cheaper.

mentok1982 said:
According the Intel overclock database most retail E6600 chips can only make it to 3.6.
It seems to me that you are using a lot of voltage for your CPU as well. I have yet to see

Yes 3.6 is probably the limit if you want a fully stable system. I have use 1.7v but it doesnt benefit unless you have phase change to balance with the heat.

mentok1982 said:

the 1201 bios, and the power supply is a 620W Enermax liberty.

only 6C from air to a much better water setup?
That just doesn't sound right.
I have seen some of the people saying 45-50C on air and
dropping into mid 35-38C on water.

I would think that 10C would be a low change on the load side am I that far off ?

I would remove the Maze4 for the chipset. Most of the water guys say these things are very restrictive..BUT you need to ask the top water people about that. Or call dd and ask them.

sparks

Back