E6600 Week 29 or 30?

I have mine at only at 3GHz on ~1.28V (all other voltages stock) which seems pretty normal. Week 30.

Mikey122687 said:
Anyone have or seen either week? How is the ocing potential?
I havent looked, but have you taken a look into the C2D overclock database? Maybe someone has this chip your talking about.

its a week 30 ive got hits 2.75 no problem on my cheapie asrock 775vsta tried it in a mates ds3 and it hit 3.5ghz on stock volts 2hr orthos stable with only a 10 oC increase in temps on stock cooler went upto 50oC full load

Mines a week 29. Highest I got was a 400mhz fsb, 3.6ghz. It wouldn't run through 3dmark 06. Currently 3.56 @ 1.55v. Temps never above 34 under full load.

Our database has one E6600 week 29 and one from week 30.

SCrlt_pimpernel 2,747 6 B2 L630 A753 65 1.35 Air Intel Stock Asrock775dualvsta 1.9 3200 306 2.5-3-3-6

DragoonTD 3,472 6 B2 L629 A339 65 1.41 Air Intel Stock Gigabyte965p-ds3 F7 Corsair 6400 868 4-4-4-12

Those are only two results and I would blame the L630s poor performance on the motherboard
that was used, the Asrock.

I have not posted my results yet, because they are not final, but:
I ran a E6600 L630A on a P5W64-WS Pro sitting on a table (no case) with no cooling other than a Zalman 9500, I got 3.6GHz with 400fsb X 9 at stock 1.35v voltage with max 1.80MCH. It was Orthos stable. Also got 450fsb X 8 for the same 3.6GHz but not fully tested. So, YES, the Week L630A I have is working great. Don't know the true temperatures yet, since not in a case and not the final cooler I will use.

I also tested a Week L628A and got 3.5GHz+ with the same exact test-bed and default 1.35v with 1.80MCH.

The L628A and L630A were within 50-100 MHz of each other, so there was not a huge difference.

The BIG DEAL is the P5W64-WS Pro, which is far and away the best C2D mobo I have used. I had previously tried the 3 other major ASUS 965 and 975 boards, and this one is the best, no contest. I have used two of the P5W64-WS Pro's now, and one does somewhat higher fsb, but both are equally stable.

Andrew

mentok1982 said:
Our database has one E6600 week 29 and one from week 30.

SCrlt_pimpernel 2,747 6 B2 L630 A753 65 1.35 Air Intel Stock Asrock775dualvsta 1.9 3200 306 2.5-3-3-6

DragoonTD 3,472 6 B2 L629 A339 65 1.41 Air Intel Stock Gigabyte965p-ds3 F7 Corsair 6400 868 4-4-4-12

Those are only two results and I would blame the L630s poor performance on the motherboard
that was used, the Asrock.

So far it seems that my E6600 L630A isn't all that great. I have the P5W DH and with 1.35 vCore set in BIOS and 400 x 9 I get a spontaneous reboot when windows tries to start booting.

However, with increased voltage I have achieved 3 hour Orthos large-fft stability (I stopped the stress test) with the side of my computer case off and a huge 20 inch fan blowing inside. By the way this is with all voltages stock except for vCore and vMem. My temps are quite high at about 58C idle and 72-74C Orthos load at 400 x 9 and 1.52 vCore set in bios (1.49 in PC Probe). Those temp readings are from the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool. CoreTemp actually reads 3 to 4 C higher at load, but it reads the same at idle.

At 400 x 9 I have had Orthos large-fft run for over an hour and 40 minutes before an error happened with 1.50 vCore set in BIOS (over a half hour with 1.48 set in BIOS) so I wonder if my board just has nasty vDroop problems. I really want to try this chip in a different motherboard to see how it does.

By the way, my original E6600 is an L625A and it would not do 3.6ghz Orthos large-fft stable at any voltage with the cooling that I have so this new chip is definitely a big improvement.

-JWM

aamsel said:
I have not posted my results yet, because they are not final, but:
I ran a E6600 L630A on a P5W64-WS Pro sitting on a table (no case) with no cooling other than a Zalman 9500, I got 3.6GHz with 400fsb X 9 at stock 1.35v voltage with max 1.80MCH. It was Orthos stable. Also got 450fsb X 8 for the same 3.6GHz but not fully tested. So, YES, the Week L630A I have is working great. Don't know the true temperatures yet, since not in a case and not the final cooler I will use.

I also tested a Week L628A and got 3.5GHz+ with the same exact test-bed and default 1.35v with 1.80MCH.

The L628A and L630A were within 50-100 MHz of each other, so there was not a huge difference.

The BIG DEAL is the P5W64-WS Pro, which is far and away the best C2D mobo I have used. I had previously tried the 3 other major ASUS 965 and 975 boards, and this one is the best, no contest. I have used two of the P5W64-WS Pro's now, and one does somewhat higher fsb, but both are equally stable.

Andrew
how high of fsb can you get with that P5W64-WS Pro?

About 450. It seems to do 450 but it is not fully tested for stability at that fsb.
The second P5W64-WS Pro I tested had the same (newer) northbridge but did around 425.
Even though I have not case-mounted this motherboard yet, or put the Ultra 120 cooler on it that I plan to use, 3.6GHz seems to be about where you hit the wall with a GOOD E6600 on air. It did not matter if I used 8 multiplier with higher fsb or 9 multiplier with lower fsb. 3.6GHz was where it starts to hit the limit.

Which isn't bad for a 2.4GHz chip I guess??? :D

Andrew

jcll2002 said:
how high of fsb can you get with that P5W64-WS Pro?

Well, it has been reported that many of the newer weeks clock better but run hotter. I will find out shortly if that is true for the CPU's I have. I still do believe that it is a chip-by-chip "luck of the draw", no magic weeks, etc. but the week does seem to matter as well.

Of course, by the time we figure it all out, the Kentfield's will be shipping!!!

Andrew

cec1l said:
So far it seems that my E6600 L630A isn't all that great. I have the P5W DH and with 1.35 vCore set in BIOS and 400 x 9 I get a spontaneous reboot when windows tries to start booting.

However, with increased voltage I have achieved 3 hour Orthos large-fft stability (I stopped the stress test) with the side of my computer case off and a huge 20 inch fan blowing inside. By the way this is with all voltages stock except for vCore and vMem. My temps are quite high at about 58C idle and 72-74C Orthos load at 400 x 9 and 1.52 vCore set in bios (1.49 in PC Probe). Those temp readings are from the Intel Thermal Analysis Tool. CoreTemp actually reads 3 to 4 C higher at load, but it reads the same at idle.

At 400 x 9 I have had Orthos large-fft run for over an hour and 40 minutes before an error happened with 1.50 vCore set in BIOS (over a half hour with 1.48 set in BIOS) so I wonder if my board just has nasty vDroop problems. I really want to try this chip in a different motherboard to see how it does.

By the way, my original E6600 is an L625A and it would not do 3.6ghz Orthos large-fft stable at any voltage with the cooling that I have so this new chip is definitely a big improvement.

-JWM

Aamsel,
That would explain why i idle much higher than others. I still have to test the cpu for concaveness, can't do it till christmas though. Why my cpu idles so much higher(42-44C at 3GHz, even at stock!) than others was really bothering me for a while.

Week 29 running @ 3.2Ghz, using 400x8 and 1.375 vcore. Rock solid thru both Prime95 (dual instances) and orthos testing. I'm stoked with the E6600, truley a killer chip. I'm pretty sure I have headroom for more easily, but just haven't pushed it further as this is plenty for me for now.

moshpit said:
Week 29 running @ 3.2Ghz, using 400x8 and 1.375 vcore. Rock solid thru both Prime95 (dual instances) and orthos testing. I'm stoked with the E6600, truley a killer chip. I'm pretty sure I have headroom for more easily, but just haven't pushed it further as this is plenty for me for now.
Nevar!

You must push her to 3.5 GHz :D

Oh, & hi mosh ;)

I had a 30A and it ran the same as my current 28A. Same everything, even voltage, it requires 1.4vcore to do 3.6Ghz with orthos stable

Week 26 doing 3.51ghz (9x390) with 1.575 vcore prime stable on water, Orthos stable. I guess I got a below average ocer.

sardonic.n7 said:
Nevar!

You must push her to 3.5 GHz :D

Oh, & hi mosh ;)

To be honest, I'm debating with myself (actually downright battling myself) about attempting for 400x9 for 3.6Ghz. That would be a 50% overclock. That's a tiny bit scary as I'm already well past my normal OC experience with a 40% overclock that I have going right now. I'm mighty happy with 3.2Ghz right now tho. I'm still shocked I've gotten this far this easily. And hi back at ya :D

I'm thinking that weird bug I reported over on Rage3D with the clock speed reporting is really the system hinting at me to try for 3.6Ghz after all, hehehehe!

Edit: OH, I know you! -n7- from Rage3D, right? Howdy bro! :D

Why be scared or concerned in any way?
Try it, you have nothing to lose.
First off, you are VERY unlikely to ever kill a CPU. It will usually just refuse to do what it can not do, it is not going to do it, and then die.
Even in the extremely unlikely situation in which a CPU does die, you just send it back to Intel for a replacement under warranty. They are not going to test it to see if it was overclocked, they are just going to replace it.

Andrew

moshpit said:
To be honest, I'm debating with myself (actually downright battling myself) about attempting for 400x9 for 3.6Ghz. That would be a 50% overclock. That's a tiny bit scary as I'm already well past my normal OC experience with a 40% overclock that I have going right now. I'm mighty happy with 3.2Ghz right now tho. I'm still shocked I've gotten this far this easily. And hi back at ya :D

I'm thinking that weird bug I reported over on Rage3D with the clock speed reporting is really the system hinting at me to try for 3.6Ghz after all, hehehehe!

Edit: OH, I know you! -n7- from Rage3D, right? Howdy bro! :D

Well, okay, you convinced my to try, and the results are hopeful if not acceptable yet. I upped the multi back to 9x, but failed to get into Windows. I bumped the vcore up to 1.4 and it booted into Windows. As soon as I trying Prime95 tho, it failed the first instance while the second instance showed no strain. I rebooted and reset the vcore to 1.425 and went to Windows. As SOON as I started Prime95 on the first instance, it rebooted the computer. I went BACK to bios, set vcore to 1.450 and tryed again. This time it started and ran both instances of Prime95 for all of about 10 minutes before it rebooted the machine. Temps were hitting 75C. All in all, I think I should be happy with my air cooled 3.2Ghz. Once I get around to going liquid cooling, 3.6Ghz is assured on this chip I now know. Thank you for pushing me :D

4535ftt.jpg

Back