• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

E6600 weak for next gen games?

gsdg_gdsg

n00b
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
21
I've been looking into getting a new computer for quite sometime. I'm looking for a system that will be able to run next gen games (Brothers in arms HH, bioshock, crysis, Moh A, COD4) very smoothly on med settings. I have already decided on 2 gigs of 800ddr2 ram and a 8800gtx. I was wondering though, is the e6600 a good enough processor to make sure that I get good fps on these games and will not have to upgrade my system in the near future.
 
Depends on how well the game has been coded and optimized. Some games run like crap on even the fastest and most expensive cpu's available at the time. I would wait and see before buying a new cpu. I'm running an AMD64 3500+@2.4ghz with 2gb ram and 7900GT KO and all games run quite good for me, but I back down the res and graphics options a bit if they don't run how I like them. I also keep my PC lean and mean and have no extra processes running in the background when gaming.

In a week or two I am going to E6850 and 4gb of ram but will be keeping the video card until next gen video cards are available. Should be fun but this old AMD64 has served me well for the time I have had it, almost 2 years.
 
yes the e6600 should be fine for the games you suggested (especially if you overclock it)

playing current games is more GPU dependent than CPU dependant
 
The real question that will be asked in the not so distant future will be, "Is dual core enough for next gen games?" Now thats a good question.
 
Even if its too weak at stock you can overclock :)

Besides quad cores are getting cheaper and if you have a board that can support it its altogether perhaps a 200 dollar or so upgrade including selling the older processor later.
 
Back
Top